17

Demetri and Felix were overseeing some sparring matches between some ability users. They noticed a large crowd off to the side circling an individual and decided to investigate after dismissing those who were sparring. They found Serafina standing in the middle of the fire manipulators with a smirk and arms crossed. Jane and Alec were not too far away, organizing bets amongst a larger group of worked-up vampires.

"What's the action?" Demetri asked, bouncing over to the twins to join in.

Most noticed that gambling increased a great deal when Serafina arrived, but they found it increased morale among the guard, so they allowed it. They found it to be somewhat of an equalizer. Especially in situations like this, with their leaders joining in, it amped up their fun. The guard hoping to win their superiors' valuables.

"We have all fire manipulators trying to steal the flame from Serafina. If any manage to either steal or extinguish the flame, she loses. They have five minutes. Care to join?" Alec asked with a smirk.

"That's a fool's bet-" Demetri began.

"A gold ingot says she loses," Felix immediately slammed the ingot on a planter nearby, cracking it in his excitement.

"See," Demetri sighed dramatically.

"You do understand that you bet to win? You don't just bet for your wishful thinking." Jane chuckled, taking Felix's bet.

"What if everyone betting against her makes her lose focus under pressure? What if that lapse in focus causes her to lose? That I want to see. She needs to be knocked down a peg." Felix stated, standing up straight and folding his arms across his chest.

"You're not the only one who thinks so. Everyone here is betting against Serafina. Only three are betting for her to win." Alec said with a knowing smile.

"Really? Everyone here thinks she'll fail? A gold ingot says she wins," Demetri immediately brought out his own ingot.

Jane accepted his bet, then announced, "Betting is closed! Let's begin in 3, 2, 1." she counted down with her own knowing smile.

Serafina raised one arm from its crossed position, partially extending it with her palm up and a fist-sized flame floating above it. Her other arm remained where it was holding up her elbow. Smirk still on her face. The fire manipulators began trying to move her flame, some trying to extinguish it. After three minutes of no movement from her flame, the manipulators stopped. They huddled up and appeared to make a plan. They broke apart, and all seemed to focus intently on the flame.

"Clever; they believe if they all focus on the same thing, they can overpower her with their numbers," Alec muttered while looking over his pocket watch.

"Hmph, they can try. But fire seems to love Serafina for some reason. Our fire manipulators are horribly incompetent in comparison. No wonder they hate her so much," Jane shook her head in disapproval.

"Aro making Ms. Hart leader of their squad without her ever having been a member of our guard and you all encouraging little bets like this aren't going to help her get them to like her," Demetri grinned.