Washington 2003

Carlisle sent a message in advance for his family to meet up at the Treaty Line with the elders of the Quileute Tribe. Only three people showed up from the tribe—all highly suspicious older native males. One with somewhat of a 'gut' on him and gray hair, the youngest resigned to a wheelchair, and the third with glasses and snow-white hair. The Cullens kept a respectful distance from the imaginary line in the street they remembered from years before. However, their impeccable memory was unnecessary as it was now designated by a sign that read the entrance to the reservation.

"Thank you for coming!" Carlisle said with a friendly smile.

The tribal council members were afraid but did their best to hide that fact. They knew of the legends; although they were taught that they were true, seeing those legends in the flesh was still different. Nerve-wracking.

"Why are we here?" the eldest male with a head of snow-white hair asked.

"To make an addendum to the treaty," Carlisle answered.

All three men stiffened on the other end, and their heartbeats accelerated. The Cullens looked away uncomfortably for causing the fear. All except one. The tall brunette female looked up directly at them with curiosity. The old men were brave. Their heartbeats were going a mile a minute, but each attempted to calm themselves down while keeping blank faces. She could respect that.

But she also couldn't help herself.

"Does it count as killing them if their fear causes them to keel over on their own from a heart attack? Why would they send the old people?" Serafina asked quietly so the men wouldn't hear.

"No respect for their elders," Rosalie agreed under her breath.

"Enough!" Esme scolded lowly.

"Not to remove any of the terms. Only to add our new family members to the treaty. They will also abide by the terms of this agreement." Carlisle said while never stepping in their direction. He did not want them to fear his family more than they already did, "This also allows you to meet the newest members of our family. It's for everyone's safety."

"Terms? Plural? What terms?" Serafina frowned, "I assumed it was just no feeding from people here? What are these terms?"

Edward smiled as he looked between his parents with a grin. "You never clarified the terms before asking her to come and sign it? You know she doesn't like it when people tell her what to do. You know your daughter, right?"

Esme grew concerned as she looked to Carlisle in realization. They didn't think it through before coming straight to adjust the treaty. What if Serafina couldn't abide by the rules? What if she disrespected these men who came here out of goodwill? An awkward silence ensued. The Quileute elders looked toward the young female with concern.

"Serafina, there are very few rules. Please?" Esme pleaded.

"What are the terms?" Serafina asked again. There was a hint of annoyance in her tone. Were they making her bow down to a werewolf? She was only okay with the signing because she thought it was just one rule. No feeding from people in town, which would be easy. What was this nonsense about additional rules?