75

The family, minus one moody bronze-haired male, sat in the living room discussing the day's events. Alice and Serafina sat in the hot seats as they were grilled about what they knew from before. Everyone questioned them about why they didn't share the information beforehand. That was tricky to navigate, but Serafina managed to get them to calm down and ignore that part. She got them all to forget about the bet as she reminded them about how they should be more concerned with Edward's well-being.

"Why didn't you tell us he would go postal?" Emmett asked the two women.

"Because I knew he wouldn't, and he didn't!" Alice huffed, "I'm not stupid. If it got bad, I would've at least told Serafina. She could get rid of all of the evidence very quickly!"

Jasper nodded slowly in agreement, as did Rosalie. Emmett just shrugged. Esme and Carlisle both looked horrified at the thought.

Serafina looked at her parents and shrugged, "I would've gotten rid of any evidence. We can't break the rules, after all. And I know how you guys feel about doing that sort of thing. It's alright if I do it. It doesn't bother me."

"But you shouldn't have to do that sort of thing," Carlisle sighed, "If we knew in advance, we could've spoken to him about it. Or left town before she even showed up. Something!" he ranted while pacing.

Esme put her hand on his shoulder to calm him as she looked at her children, "We would've preferred that everyone speak about these things. We could've thought something up as a family."

"But we couldn't just leave! She's his mate!" Alice whined.

"Supposed mate," Serafina corrected.

"No, mate," Alice argued.

"I agree with Sera on this," Rosalie said, "I mean, you said he almost killed her. That doesn't sound like true love to me. I never wanted to kill Sera, except that first time we met, and she abandoned me." She trailed off.

"God damn it," Serafina muttered. She stepped toward Rosalie, "Mi hermosa! I am so sorry about that! It was a mistake!" she pleaded.

"She's never going to let that go, is she?" Emmett mumbled to Jasper.

Jasper shook his head as in no, "It always comes back up when she's mad. It's like she has nothing else to throw at her otherwise." He mumbled back.

Esme could sense the couple becoming sidetracked as Rosalie brought up old grudges. She tried to steer them back, "are you sure, Alice?"

"Has the vision changed since the last time? Do you still think she's his mate?" Carlisle asked.

"It's still fifty-fifty that they're mates," she answered.

"Mates, or he murders her. That is wild," Emmett began to wonder aloud, "I mean, that murder-y part of him must be pretty strong if he had to leave, right? Or maybe he just kills her so brutally that he is embarrassed and doesn't want us to know how dark his mind can be." Emmett began to get excited at the thought, curious about how Edward's mind worked, "How did he do it?"

"Emmett!" Esme chided.

"I was just wondering," Emmett shrugged. He glanced in Alice's direction.

"It was pretty brutal. At Chief Swan's house, too. He at least waits until after Chief Swan leaves for a night shift." She whispered across the room.

Carlisle exasperatedly covered his face with his hand while Esme rolled her eyes.

Serafina had a small smirk from Emmett's question that she tried to hide while rubbing circles into Rosalie's limp hand as she held it. But she tried to wipe the grin off to give her love that same pleading look. She knew Rosalie was upset with her.