Texas 1951

Alice was right. Rosalie became an expert at driving in no time. She had been doing all of the braking to see how much pressure was needed on different surfaces. She had made it a very scientific process. A lot of trial and error was how Carlisle explained it. But he was delighted with her results.

Serafina sat in the front passenger seat with Rosalie in the driver's seat. They had gone straight from Pennsylvania to Texas without stopping unless they were stopping for gas. Esme and Carlisle were in his car behind them, while Edward, Emmett, Jasper, and Alice followed in Esme's. They probably could've gotten there faster if Serafina had known proper directions. But she could only describe the direction from how she remembered from her walks which was very different from the road. She had long known she wasn't giving the best guidance. She was pretty much going based on instinct. It was her home, after all. Rosalie didn't mind. She was patient. She considered it more time to be together.

They made it to a large sign that brought a smile to Rosalie's face, "did you name the town?" she asked.

Serafina didn't even notice the sign. She had never paid attention to it before, "no, why?" she asked with confusion.

Her response threw Rosalie off a bit. She had a strange suspicion and wanted to confirm, "Do you know the town's name?"

There was silence from next to her; she looked over and saw Serafina with her brows furrowed. She was trying to remember.

"No idea?" Rosalie laughed.

"I never had to say its name before. It's just home. Or my town." Serafina shrugged. She then continued giving directions until they reached a beautiful town square. It was well maintained with roses and other flowers. But strangely, to the Cullens, many large shades covered large swaths of the square. All three cars stopped, and everyone got down.

"Is there a reason why you had us stop here first?" Carlisle asked, walking up to Serafina and Rosalie with Esme, admiring the different types of flowers around.

Serafina had a small smirk on her face. Edward narrowed his eyes at her. He could hear her excitement in her thoughts at them seeing something. He averted his eyes once he heard Emmett exclaim, "Holy shit, is that you?"

He looked in the direction Emmett had begun going until they approached a giant statue in the center of the square. Everyone's jaws dropped.

"You've got to be kidding me," Edward said exasperatedly.

"That is, in fact, our Doña. The founder and guardian of our beautiful little town here." A voice came from the direction they had just come from. It was a professionally dressed, pretty young woman and her small entourage, consisting of the council. She looked to Serafina, "Doña, welcome home. After you called, we sent a cleaning crew to your home to clean up and left the gates open. Will you be going home from here, or shall we do a small tour now for your friends?"

"Maria? You're the mayor?" Serafina asked with confusion.