103

Everyone could feel the presence entering their territory—familiar yet not one of their own. Edward made his way outside. They could hear a slight growl from his chest that humans couldn't hear.

"They're not gonna touch her," they heard from Edward as he communicated with the boy they had seen not too long ago.

The boy didn't take long to enter the home with the whole story. Emmett stood looking out the window as if searching for something. The family assumed he was on the lookout for any of Sam's pack and left him alone. They discussed what Jacob had discovered. The pack was afraid—afraid of what was growing in the girl's body—of this potential monster. They were circling the home but would bide their time since they could no longer take them out in a surprise attack. Thanks to the boy.

"Like they could've taken me out in a surprise attack," Serafina laughed to herself.

Edward looked toward her, "Seraf-," he began.

"Why do you always think I'm going to bail you out? This is your problem. Not the family's. It's most definitely not mine. No! You wanted to knock up your little human wife with your demon seed. Then you protect her. It should be all on you," Serafina said with one of the most severe expressions Edward had ever seen.

"I'm sorry for what I said in the past. You were right. You are very adept at finding danger. And you're the most powerful person in this family. Please help us," Edward pleaded.

Rosalie knew her wife was angry but could see her chest puff up with pride at his acknowledgment of her strength. The couple didn't like how Edward always went to Serafina to use her whenever he saw fit. It wasn't fair. Rosalie knew Serafina cared for the family immensely, although she didn't always admit it and was more than willing to help. But it was a matter of principle. She agreed wholeheartedly with her wife's not wanting to be involved. Of course, she wouldn't mind; it was her idea for her wife to stand down in these situations in the first place. She didn't want her to use her abilities to help. She was already more than grateful that she was willing to help her with the girl's pregnancy even now. Even if she was only assisting the girl for herself as her wife and also because she felt bad for the human who she believed was basically on her deathbed. It still made her feel very loved. Before she could tell her wife not to give in because of that one apology, Carlisle had spoken up first in response to the conversation that had continued without them.

"No fights. We won't be the ones to break the treaty," Carlisle said after Emmett voiced how they wouldn't be able to get through without a fight. He still never looked away from the window.

"The treaty is void, at least in Sam's mind," Jacob argued.

"Not in ours," Esme answered.

"Carlisle, no one's hunted for weeks," Emmett reminded.

"We'll make do," Esme dismissed his concerns. She didn't want to make Jacob or Bella nervous about their potential weaknesses.

"You've done us a great service," Carlisle told Jacob.