28

Although no one slept, they still went through the motions to keep things as normal as possible. This meant they all retired to their rooms at about eleven at night. Pajamas and all. They usually read books and studied medicine or music. Alice had begun making clothing sketches of outfits for herself and everyone else in the family. Her drawings weren't too good yet. But she knew with practice; they'd look how she saw them in her mind. Esme was currently attempting to sew the newest sketch she received from Alice. She was skilled in life; now, her speed and accuracy were off the charts. She just needed a little explanation from Alice to understand the drawing. Their teamwork turned out very well; this would be the second dress for Rosalie. She had gotten the first sketch the second night of Alice and Jasper's arrival. It had been finished for a few days, but Alice kept telling her they couldn't give it to her yet. Now Esme suspected she knew what the first dress was for. Or rather, who it was for. She smiled to herself at the thought of Rosalie's happiness.

Rosalie was still in a good mood from the bouquet, but more the fact of what it represented. She wasn't rejected or abandoned. Serafina would come back. It was strange to her. For how much she fought it initially, the thought of her never returning hurt her significantly. Since turning, she sometimes forgot she had a heart since it no longer beat. But the thought of Serafina not wanting her made her heart feel like it was slowly being crushed into nothing. It was a constant pain, a throbbing in her chest. It was unbearable. This hope she was given alleviated some of that pressure. She felt she could breathe so much better. But she knew it wouldn't completely go away until Serafina was back. She hoped the others were right, and it would be soon. But they were undead. Frozen in time. What if 'soon' was longer than she hoped? She shook her head in frustration. She shouldn't think that way. She should be positive and enjoy the thought of her return.

The following morning Rosalie was lying in bed, turning through the pages of a medical journal, when she got a knock on her door.

"I'm indecent. Wait a moment," Rosalie called while slowly sitting up.

"It's alright. It's just me!" Alice yelled out excitedly.

"Oh, well, then come in," Rosalie said as she laid back on her side. She propped her head on her hand as she returned to the medical journal. She was not bothering to hide her form in her nightgown from her new sister, who had a mate. She watched Alice walk into her room and close the door behind herself, "what do you need, Alice?" she asked, putting her eyes back on the journal.

"What are you going to wear today?" Alice asked eagerly as she ran for the bed and jumped on, causing Rosalie to bounce awkwardly from the impact.

Rosalie glared at Alice; she knew the bounce she did was not graceful at all, "I don't know, probably some shorts and a blouse, just some house clothes. I was thinking of gardening with Esme again out back. If she wants, of course," she answered as she sat up and put the journal away on the nightstand to protect it from Alice.

"No, no, no. No gardening today. Esme and I have a surprise for you!" Alice said, growing more excited.

Rosalie just looked at her, confused.

Esme called from the other side of her door, "knock, knock."