55

The "adults" sat in the Denali residence while the teens were out with their cousins. They had begun discussing their new family members, Carmen particularly curious about Serafina and some things she may not have told her about herself.

"Thank you for looking out for her, Carlisle, Esme," Carmen said as she leaned into Eleazar.

Tanya was somewhat curious, "Alice said she woke up without her sire too. Why do you treat them differently? Why do you give Serafina more pity than Alice?"

"Alice's creation is mysterious. But she never questioned it like Serafina. She felt no need to. She remembers nothing of her human life, so she has never missed anyone from her past. She also told us that she had a vision not too long after her awakening," Carlisle answered with a slight grin to Esme.

Esme smiled as she began to gush, "she saw Jasper. So even though she was alone, she knew she wouldn't be alone forever. She said it was only a few weeks later when she had a vision of us and the diet. So she began to practice independently and found a purpose to her existence. Finding Jasper and the rest of us." She had a loving smile thinking about it. She always found Alice to be so sweet.

"So even though both woke up alone, they had different mentalities. And personalities. Ignorance is bliss, you could say, in Alice's case. But Serafina remembered everything from her past, making her a bit more untrusting and wary of others. Which, I suppose, could be considered a good thing? She wasn't swayed into joining several unsavory groups," Carlisle said, glancing at Eleazar. He continued, "but sadly, that mistrust led her to be alone for a long time. Even when she spent time with the Volturi, she spent most of her time alone. She always kept herself on guard even with her friends among the leadership." Carlisle paused in thought, "I believe all this time she's had alone or on guard has made it so she isn't much of a people person." Carlisle surmised.

"You think?" Tanya asked sarcastically.

"I still can't believe she managed to avoid joining the Volturi. With her ability, I'm sure Aro tried everything to get her to join," Eleazar said, keeping a particular bond-making member to himself. He was surprised she could fight off that ability and was very impressed.

"With her ability and not knowing anything about our kind. I'm surprised she didn't create a bigger stir in the human world," Tanya mused aloud.

"She did destroy a town," Eleazar muttered.

Carmen immediately turned to him, "She said it was an accident." She scolded. She then looked to the couple opposite, "Tell me more about her, please."

"About the other two as well," Tanya added.

The couple did. The Cullens, ever the proud parents, bragged about their new family members and told the Denali little things they discovered about them. Stuff about their likes and dislikes. How to know if they were upset or not. Things that they thought would help them get along better with them.

Meanwhile, the teens sat in the middle of the forest within the Denali territory with their two cousins. Serafina sat leaning against a tree on a high branch, her arms wrapped protectively around Rosalie as she rested her chin on her shoulder. Rosalie leaned back against her in her lap. They looked down at Jasper and Kate, who happened to be preparing to spar.