77

The following day, they went to school as usual. No one spoke; it was as though they didn't want to talk about the obvious. If they didn't say anything, it wouldn't be true. With how their parents, Edward and Alice, were acting, they could guess Edward might be taking another trip. At least he was there now. They could show him how upset they were by ignoring him for now. That was what Serafina thought. The group separated immediately, and all the seniors went to their classes, leaving Edward and Alice alone in the parking lot. If those two weren't going to speak, they wouldn't either. They didn't want to deal with Edward's mood about the human anymore.

None of them admitted it, but they were secretly worried for him. Each considered going with him. Even Rosalie considered her and Serafina going with him for a while to ensure he would be okay. But she quickly quashed that idea after remembering how much they disliked him. It would be constant fighting. She figured she would try to push Emmett to go along with him. She would speak to him after class; she would have to go to Emmett and Jasper's class direction anyway.

Soon, there was a commotion in the halls. The teacher went out to see what was happening. All of the Cullens could hear their whispers about the incident in the parking lot. How Tyler Crowley nearly killed Isabella Swan. Luckily, Edward Cullen was there to pull her out of the way just in the nick of time.

Soon, several students from the parking lot who had witnessed everything ran inside to spread the word. Although, the teachers had left their classes momentarily to speak amongst themselves about it in secret. Once these students' voices were heard, there was an uproar as all students dashed to the parking lot to witness firsthand.

The Cullens joined the chaos as they watched from a distance. Eyes narrowed in their disapproval. Alice soon joined them with a guilty look, but their eyes never went to her. They glared at Edward. He looked up at them with the same guilty expression that Alice wore—but quickly turned away from them to look at the human.

Alice had told them what happened but tried to reassure them that no one appeared to have seen anything or suspected much. But she admitted that the Swan girl seemed conscious the entire time. It was almost a sure thing that she saw everything.

"That son of a bitch," Rosalie growled.

"We should all just relax. We'll take care of it," Emmett said while watching Edward hide the marks he had left on the van, "See, he's taking care of the evidence."

The group turned an annoyed glance at Emmett. But from the corner of their eye, they saw Edward give him a thankful glance as he was taken to the hospital with the others.

"Did you agree to help him?" Rosalie glared at Emmett.

"What? It's to help the family," he shrugged as he casually walked toward the crowd but made a beeline for the van to ensure Edward got rid of any evidence that showed his involvement.

Rosalie began to growl lowly under her breath. Some students not too far away shuddered to themselves but didn't know why. They only huddled closer together like a herd of cattle seeking safety in numbers. Serafina didn't comment. She just hugged her girlfriend from behind to soothe her anger. Then she turned the two around to take them back inside to wait out the crowd. Alice looked at the two and looked at her mate. Jasper gave her a small smile but turned around and followed the two women inside.

Since they figured everyone would be outside for a while, they went to the cafeteria to sit near a window to monitor what was happening outside. Serafina held Rosalie. She was so furious she was shaking.

"We have to kill her," Rosalie said.

"She knows too much," Jasper agreed.

Serafina remained quiet. Things were turning out differently than she initially thought. She could see how much Edward struggled with being near the human, but he still tried to save her when she was almost killed. In front of witnesses. Was she his mate? But then, why would his urge to kill be so high? This wasn't as simple as she thought. Maybe Edward should run away again, but that wouldn't be good either. She couldn't figure out why things had gotten so complicated.