49

"Jazz, it's not going to happen again." Alice tried to stop Jasper, who hurriedly zipped around their room, packing her things. He had already tossed his belongings haphazardly in his suitcase.

"You can't see accidents like that all the time. We know that now," Jasper answered, "do you want me to keep these outfits with the hangers or just fold them and keep the hangers separate when I put them away?" he asked. He was trying his best not to wrinkle or damage her clothes.

"The humans didn't know what happened. They only sensed danger. It's our prey's instinct. But I didn't let them see you or your face. It'll be fine," Serafina said as she lounged in the living room on the first floor. She lay on the couch with some magazine about housekeeping that she guessed belonged to Esme, but she didn't even look at it. She was too busy staring at the door waiting for Edward and Rosalie to return.

"A watched pot never boils," Esme said as she patted Serafina on her head and walked past her to head to the second floor to check on Jasper.

"It could've happened to any of us," Emmett tried to help. He was already in Alice and Jasper's room with them.

"But it didn't. Only me," Jasper mumbled. He was annoyed by his lack of restraint.

"I almost gave in too!" Alice admitted, tugging on his sleeve.

Serafina was mildly irritated. Not necessarily at them, just the fact that Rosalie wasn't there. Where did they go? She knew nothing would happen to them. But she'd rather be with Rosalie than with Rosalie's family while they were in turmoil. She hoped they didn't want her to try to cheer him up too. But they probably did. She could hear them all on the second floor as they tried to make Jasper feel better.

"I wouldn't let you hurt them anyways. As you saw, I'm pretty good at keeping you away. Hell, I held myself back since you're Rosalie's family. If you act up again, I'll sear you good. I know just how far to go so I don't accidentally hit the venom and light you up by mistake," Serafina called out. There, she did a good deed.

There was silence from the second floor.

"There! See, she won't let you hurt anyone," Emmett said happily as he clapped his hand on Jasper's back.

"That's sweet of you, Serafina," Esme said, shrugging to the others. She believed Serafina meant well but wasn't sure how to respond.

"Maybe if we left town for a bit to feed and came back, you'll feel better?" Emmett suggested, "Oh! We can feed in Mexico! I've never been, and I think we're close. What kinds of animals do they have down there?" he asked excitedly.

"Closer to here, mostly livestock, like horses, cattle, goats, and pigs on the ranches," Jasper muttered, "but that's Maria's territory." His hands tightened on the clothes he was trying to fold. Alice made her way over, pulled the clothes away, and held his hands. He relaxed as he held onto her.

Serafina couldn't help but perk up at that, "has Carlisle ever been to Mexico?" she asked out loud.

"I believe he mentioned traveling through Mexico before," Edward answered as he walked in the door with Rosalie.