57

They eyed the strange man warily. Serafina and Kate stood more closely as Irina and Rosalie tried to do the same, but Rosalie had already made her way toward Serafina before. Leaving Irina a bit further behind, the direction he came from was still closer to Irina and Rosalie. That was why Paprika had summoned herself to Rosalie's side.

Serafina let off low growls as he stepped closer.

He slowed to a stop with his hands up, "Now, now—no need for that beautiful. You four are the ones trespassing. This is my neck of the woods. I have been here for five months now. So you four are in the wrong. Not me."

"We're sorry, we didn't know this territory had been claimed. We were playing around," Irina tried to play peacekeeper.

"I saw, feisty lot, aren't you?" he said as he slowly began walking closer again.

Kate joined in the low growls with Serafina as he made his way closer to her little sister.

"I can help," he offered a sly grin, "I get this way after I feed too. You need to blow off some steam. I found a small cabin built a bit deeper that way." He gestured behind his back, "You can be as loud as you like."

"Maybe some other time," Irina said, slowly and cautiously trying to join the others. It was never good to be in another's territory. They didn't know if he had any friends or abilities and needed to be careful.

"It wasn't a request. I believe I'm due compensation for this intrusion," he said, racing toward Irina since she was closest. His arm reached out to grab her.

This move startled the others. They didn't expect it. The man's eyes flashed violet, making the others believe he was about to use an ability. Irina began to run to the others. But Serafina didn't hesitate. The man had a look of surprise as he burned into nothing.

Rosalie and Kate ran toward Irina. Rosalie hugged Irina and quickly handed her over to Kate, hoping her familiar presence would calm her down more quickly. Rosalie then turned to hug Serafina, who joined them.

Kate turned to Serafina, "Thank you!"

Irina also turned to hug Serafina, "Thank you."

"We should go back," Kate said, no longer in a playful mood. She turned serious as she considered returning to their territory. She wanted them all to escape that dangerous area and regretted her goading Serafina into a fight. She felt this was her fault.

"You three go ahead," Serafina said.

Rosalie quickly turned to her, "You're coming too. Come on." She reached for her hand to hold.

Serafina gave her a small smile, "I'll be right behind you guys. I want to look around. But take Rika with you. I'll feel better if she's with you."

"I'd be safer if you went with me. Why are you staying behind? Did he have a coven?" Rosalie asked accusingly, "Are you going after his coven now? You want me out of danger, so you're sending me back while you go alone?"