Chapter 4

Daena and Joshua had a lot of catching up to do so he stayed for a while. The take out Daena had ordered and promptly forgotten about on the arrival of her unexpected guest finally arrived and she split it with Joshua.

It amazed her how quickly they had fallen back into their old habits with each other and how comfortable Daena felt around him again.

Joshua told stories of his life with Seventeen and Daena started to feel like a bad friend. She hadn't really followed his career that closely and realised she didn't even know the names of some of his fellow members. She made a mental note to do some research as soon as possible

"How's Hoshi" Daena asked excitedly. Of all the members in Joshua's group the only one Daena knew personally was Hoshi. Hoshi had been desperate to learn Japanese in the early days of Seventeens career and Daena being practically fluent had been encouraged to help him by Joshua. They had exchanged numbers and had spoken frequently throughout the years. Daena saw Hoshi as a little brother and wanted to make sure he was doing well.

"He's great, same old Hoshi, I told him you were here and I was coming over to see you and it took all of my powers of persuasion to stop him coming too. He's very excited to meet you in person" Joshua beamed as he explained.

He seemed really happy and settled and it filled her with pride to see how well his dream had panned out.

Daena also told stories of the last few years of her life as well although it was vastly different to Joshua's.

Studying language at college she had stopped being the studious girl he had once know and had to admit to indulging in a bit of partying which Joshua seemed extremely shocked to hear, even going as far to pretend to fall out of his chair.

Joshua had been very curious to hear about Daena's time at college as it was an experience he hadn't had. Daena accidentally mentioned her failed college relationship and Joshua questioned her over and over about it until she begged him to stop as it was too embarrassing.

Finally Joshua stood up after checking his phone. "I really have to get back" he said his voice tinged with disappointment.

"It's okay" Daena said also standing up. She closed the distance between the two of them in just a few steps and wrapped her arms around him to hug him goodbye.

Joshua stiffened slightly and Daena suddenly realised maybe it was presumptuous of her to expect to go back to hugging so quickly. But as quickly as she had thought it Joshua had wrapped his arms around her giving a quick squeeze before stepping away and giving her a light pat on the head. Just like old times.

"I really did miss you, I promise now you are here I'll do a better job of staying in touch" he said as he put his shoes on and started to open the door to let himself out.

"You better!" Daena growled at him.

She could hear him chuckling as he closed the door behind him.

Grinning to herself Daena sank back into the armchair she had been sat in all evening.

"Shoot!" She exclaimed looking at her watch. It was much later than she realised and she needed to get some sleep ready for work tomorrow.

As Daena climbed into bed she heard her phone ding from the nightstand.

A text from Joshua had arrived. 'I meant it when I said I would stay more in touch' it read.

Daena smiled as she fell asleep.

-

Daena sat at her usual table in the teachers lounge and waited for Leah to join her for lunch. It had been a busy morning and she was already worn out after staying up later than usual last night.

"I swear these students are going to be the death of me" Leah sighed running her hands over her face as she sat down opposite Daena.

"Oh Daena you look terrible" She exclaimed as she got a good look at her friends face.

"Thanks for the compliment Leah" Daena replied swatting at her for the insult "I had a late night" She explained.

"Ohhh do tell..." as Leah said this she folded her hands and rested her chin on them.

"No, before you get excited nothing like that, I had a friend visit" Daena interuppted Leahs train of thought before it could get out of hand. Leah had been desperately trying to get Daena to date since she had arrived and the pair had started to become friends.

"What friend? Who do you know except me and some of the other staff" Leah questioned probing for more information.

"An old friend from home, he moved here a few years back and I haven't seen him since"

"Is he hot?" Leah asked.

"Trust that to be your first question, He's family Leah, he's like my brother"

"Borringg" Leah groaned leaning back in her chair.

As she did this Daena's phone dinged.

Pulling it out of her bag she was surprised to see it was from Joshua. He really was keeping his promise.

'Are you free later' it read.

"Ohhh is that him" Leah gushed leaning over to get a better look at the phone.

Again Daena swatted at her before replying.

'I can be'

'Good I'll pick you up at 7' came the almost instant reply.

"Ohh you got a date" Leah gushed leaning so far over in her chair in her desperate attempt to read the messages Daena was surprised she hadn't fallen out of it.

Daena laughed at her friend and pushed her back to her side of the table.

"It's not a date, it's just old friends catching up" Daena explained but what she didn't say was at the very moment Leah had mentioned it might be a date her heart had started to beat a little bit faster.