Chapter 54

Daena had spent the entire afternoon trying to keep busy waiting for Jeonghan to call. Although she wasn't sure what to say to him.

She felt silly for getting upset. They had been apart before. Jeonghan travelled for work all the time and they would be apart for longer in the future when he went on tour.

But something about this being forced on them by an external source just made it hurt a bit more, not to mention the fact that it wasn't like he was far away, it was more that they shouldn't see each other.

He hadn't responded to her messages either which had left her feeling anxious. This was exactly what he had wanted to avoid from the beginning. He had made it very clear he didn't want a public dating scandal. Maybe he was mad at her for putting him in this situation.

In her attempt to try to distract herself from this mess she had text Joshua and asked if he wanted to come keep her company. Only to find out he had missed a pretty crucial detail from their conversation earlier.

It wasn't just Jeonghan she couldn't see. It was all of them. She wasn't even allowed to go to the agency building.

This had set her off again. It had taken everything in her to not burst into tears. The idea of not seeing her friends or her boyfriend was too much. She felt isolated from everything important to her.

The hours ticked by and there was still no communication from Jeonghan.

Daena decided to busy herself and tried to get ahead on her work. However her laptop sat balanced on her lap while she stared at it blankly.

Finally her phone rang causing her to jump.

She quickly closed and laptop and placed in on the coffee table before grabbing her phone.

One look at the screen revealed it was an incoming video call from Jeonghan.

Daena hesitated for a moment before answering.

"Hi" she said quietly.

Jeonghan waved silently. He wasn't smiling and his eyes had lost some of their usual sparkle.

Daena wanted to speak but wasn't sure what to say. Recently their relationship had lost of all of the early awkwardness and they had become completely comfortable around each other. But right now she wasn't sure what to say or do.

Jeonghan spoke for her.

"Are you okay?" He asked quietly.

Daena nodded but knew her face would give her away. Her eyes will still puffy from her tears earlier.

Jeonghan leaned back slightly and Daena could tell he was sat at his desk.

He ran a hand through his hair. "I.. I'm sorry" he said with a sigh.

"It's okay. There's nothing we can do about it now" Daena replied.

Jeonghan looked to the side. "I didn't agree to this you know, I argued with them for almost an hour"

"But it is for the best" Daena replied trying to reason it out. "It's better to let the rumours fade"

Jeonghan sighed deeply still looking away from the camera. Daena watched as he pulled his hoodie sleeves down over his hands and pressed them harshly against his eyes. She realised he was trying to not cry.

"Hey, it will be okay. Its only for a few weeks. Let's think of it as practice for tour" She said with a cheerful tone, trying to lighten the mood.

Jeonghan took a deep shaky breath before turning back to the camera. His eyes were slightly wet. "I'm just frustrated. I thought we were safe at the building, I never thought a leak would come from there" he said quietly.

"Because of the contracts?" Daena asked.

"Exactly. S Coups sorted it though. That girl is done" he said.

"They fired her?" Daena asked, she was shocked, she hadn't expected that when she had told Joshua.

"Yes, she denied it of course. Said she had no idea what they were talking about, but Seungcheol said she was smiling when she walked out and that's when he knew it was her" Jeonghan explained.

"But she knows my name" Daena whispered.

"Believe me, she won't say anything. They made her sign an agreement in exchange for the money" he continued.

"They paid her off?" Daena asked.

"Of course. How else would we guarantee she wouldn't say more?" Jeonghan asked, clearly shocked by the question.

Daena watched as Jeonghan brushed his hair out of his eyes. Deciding to change the subject she suddenly spoke. "You should cut your hair, it's too long"

Jeonghan frowned at her "Why?"

Daena shrugged. "I liked it short"

"Well my fans like it long" Jeonghan countered.

"I wouldn't be so sure, and shouldn't your girlfriend's opinion be more important" She replied.

"No.. there are way more of them" Jeonghan said with a smile that finally reached his eyes. "I miss you" he said suddenly.

"You saw me this morning" Daena chuckled.

"I know but I don't like that I can't see you. That girl had no idea what she was doing when she went to the press" Jeonghan said, irritation clear in his voice.

Daena sighed. "I don't think I'll be going back to the office after this"

"I understand. You can do the job from home anyway" Jeonghan nodded.

"Mm. No. I don't think I'll go back at all. I was there one day and now this. Nothing ever happened while I was just a teacher" Daena explained.

"Wait. You mean you're not coming to work at the agency at all?" Jeonghan asked.

Daena shook her head.

Jeonghan looked annoyed. "But I thought you enjoyed it."

"I did. But it's just caused too much hassle. I'd rather teach" She explained.

Jeonghan shook his head. "But it was perfect, us working together in the same building"

"Well I'm not even allowed in the building now, you might as well just get my pass cancelled" Daena said sarcastically. She was starting to get annoyed. She never promised to take the job. Just see how it went. Jeonghan was acting like she was suddenly changing the plan.

"This is ridiculous, you'd give up a better job over some silly little girl going to the press" Jeonghan said loudly, irritation clear in his voice.

"It's my decision Jeonghan" She snapped back.

Jeonghan rolled his eyes.

"Did you just roll your eyes?" Daena asked.

Jeonghan looked at her for a moment before his face softened.

"I don't want to argue with you. Not when I can't see you" he said quietly.

Daena sighed deeply. "Me neither"

"If you said you didn't want to do this and you wanted me to come over, I would you know" Jeonghan said.

Daena smiled. "I know. But we agreed, we want this to stay private"

"Okay. But if you change your mind I'll be there" Jeonghan replied. "And about the job. It is up to you, but don't let this make your mind up for you"

"I'll think about it some more okay" Daena said, mostly to reassure him. But her mind was made up.

"Okay. Let's hope something more interesting catches the public attention and this blows over quickly" Jeonghan said.

"Ask one of the other members to create a scandal" Daena suggested.

"Don't, some of them probably would" Jeonghan laughed.

He looked to the side suddenly towards where the door to his room would be.

"Hey, I've got to go. I'll call you tomorrow yeah? I'll call everyday until this is over. I love you" he said.

He hung up before Daena even had a chance to reply.