Chapter 63

Jeonghan looked down at Daena. He wasn't sure what she was talking about but he could tell she wasn't capable of providing more information in that moment.

He released her from his embrace, but only briefly so he could reposition her and tuck her against his side.

He could feel she was heavier in his arms that usual and got the sense that he was not only holding her up but also holding her together.

His heart broke a little as he looked at her, she was clearly in a great deal of pain and he wasn't sure how to help.

He guided her over to the couch and sat her down before sitting beside her and pulling her against him. Daena immediately pressed her head into his chest and sobbed quietly.

They sat like this for a few moments before Daena went silent and slowly raised her head.

Jeonghan looked at her and could see her eyes were red and puffy from the tears. He reached out and dried her cheeks with his thumbs.

"What happened?" He asked quietly, his voice laced with concern. He wasn't sure she wanted to speak and he didn't want to upset her again but he couldn't bare not knowing what had caused this reaction in her.

Daena looked up at him, her eyes filling with tears again. She took a shaky breath and then spoke. "He... he had a heart attack... I... my mom... she said it was so quick.. there was nothing they could do" she stammered out an explanation.

Jeonghan's eyes went wide as the realisation hit him. "Your father?" He asked caustiously.

Daena nodded slowly. "He's dead Jeonghan, I didn't even get to say goodbye... it was so sudden" She said quietly before the tears she had been holding back started streaming down her face again.

Jeonghan held her tightly. He knew how important her father was to her. He couldn't imagine what she was feeling.

He continued told hold her and rubbed her back as she sobbed quietly against his chest.

A few moments passed and they both jumped slightly as someone loudly knocked on the door.

Daena pulled back and looked at Jeonghan questioningly.

"I'll get it" he said quietly, placing a light kiss on her forehead before standing.

When he reached the door he looked through the peephole and saw Joshua was standing on the other side.

He sighed quietly before opening the door.

The pair looked at each other for a moment and Jeonghan could see from the sadness in Joshua's eyes that he knew.

Joshua brushed past him and sat beside Daena filling the spot Jeonghan had occupied seconds before and pulled her into a tight hug.

Jeonghan closed the door and remained standing. He felt suddenly uncomfortable.

He watched as Joshua spoke to Daena quietly.

"I'm so sorry Daena, he was a good man" Joshua said.

Daena just sobbed louder in response.

Jeonghan frowned as he watched Joshua lean closer and start whispering quietly to Daena.

He moved closer to try and better hear what was being said. His frown deepened when he realised Joshua had switched to English.

Jeonghan could only make out the odd word here and there. This was frustrating for him. In his mind the only reason Joshua would switch to English was to make sure Jeonghan wouldn't hear or understand.

Jeonghan stood there for a few moments before his frustration got the better of him. He was angry at Joshua for making him feel like a spare part in his own girlfriend's home. However he knew better than to cause a scene. So he simply turned around, slid his shoes on quietly and walked out the door.

Before he had even made it two steps from the apartment he heard the door open and close quickly behind him.

He turned to find Joshua standing behind him. Jeonghan could see from his eyes he was angry.

"Where do you think you are going?" Joshua spat.

Jeonghan stared at him silently for a moment. "You seem to have it covered" he said with a shrug.

"I hope you are joking" Joshua said, his voice strained.

Jeonghan looked down at his feet and slid his hands into his pockets.

"I don't know what to do Joshua. How do I fix this?" he said, his voice cracking slightly.

"You can't. She's devastated. He was so important to her. They were so close. Do you know what the first thing she said to me was?" Joshua replied, his tone softer now.

Jeonghan shook his head.

"She said that it hurt her so much that he never got to meet you" Joshua said quietly.

Jeonghan blinked rapidly in an attempt to stop his own eyes filling with tears.

"She told me in English because she didn't want you to hear and feel bad about not having time to go out there and meet him. It was so important to her that you both meet and now that oppurtunity has been taken from her" Joshua explained.

Jeonghan continued to look down at his feet. He did feel bad. If he had known this would happen he would of made time.

"It's okay though, you didn't know, you couldn't have known. It can't be helped now but you need to go back in there and be there for her. She needs you" Joshua said.

Jeonghan looked up at him. "I will. Are you okay? I know he was like family to you" Jeonghan asked suddenly concerned for his friend.

Joshua looked taken aback by Jeonghan's suddenly question. "I... no I'm not okay. But I have to act like I am for her" he replied.

Jeonghan nodded. "Thank you for talking some sense into me"

Joshua patted him on the shoulder before pushing him back into the apartment.

-

Jeonghan opened the door to the dorm and dragged himself through it. He had been up all night with Daena and hadn't had any sleep yet.

Before he had a chance to get into his room a door creaked open from down the hall and Joshua intercepted him.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Sleeping" Jeonghan croacked. "We have practice in like 3 hours"

"Hoshi cancelled it when I told him. You should go back to Daena's" Joshua demanded.

Jeonghan opened the door to his room. "No point. She's not there" he didn't have to energy to explain more.

"Where is she?" Joshua asked.

"On a plane to L.A. I bought her a ticket and put her on it about an hour ago." Jeonghan explained.

"You let her go alone?" Joshua exclaimed.

"Yeah. How was I going to go Joshua? Our comeback is less than 2 weeks away" Jeonghan snapped.

"Oh.. yeah. You could of waited. I would have gone with her" Joshua replied.

Jeonghan turned to look at him. "Did you not hear me? Comeback in 2 weeks"

"I spoke to the managers I have permission to miss some events because of the funeral" Joshua shrugged.

Jeonghan blinked at him. "Did you ask for me?"

"Yes but they said if people found out it would make sense for me to be there with my mom but there was no public reason for you to be there" Joshua explained quietly.

Jeonghan closed his eyes and clenched his fists. He took a deep breath before he spoke. "I guess you are right. Be there for her for me"

Joshua nodded eagerly. "I hate that she's alone on that plane though" he sighed.

"It's only a few hours. I called your mom. She will collect her from the airport" Jeonghan explained.

Joshua looked deep in thought for a moment. "You did the right thing, she needs to be with her family" he finally said.

"I know" Jeonghan replied simply before closing the door to his room.