Chapter 20

For the next few weeks Daena kept her promise to Hoshi.

She made excuse after excuse to Joshua about why she couldn't visit and why he shouldn't come over. Usually using work as the reason. She tried to stay out of her apartment as much as possible as well knowing Joshua had a key and could just walk in.

So she visited cafes and the library near her apartment but also did take up some extra hours at work tutoring the students after normal school hours had finished. She couldn't complain too much. She was making a lot more money this way.

Jeonghan on the other hand had no way to contact her so she hadn't heard from him at all.

Hoshi had called a few times mostly to practice Japanese as they had put their lessons on hold so Daena could stay out of the agency building.

He had mentioned in passing a few times that Joshua and Jeonghan both seemed quiet but had been interacting more than before. So it felt like the decision to stay away was worth it. Coming between them wasn't something she had ever wanted to do.

Leah had also commented on how quiet and withdrawn Daena had been a few times when they had met for lunch or coffee.

Daena was starting to doubt her decision to come to Korea in the first place and had been dropping hints to her parents that maybe it was time to come home. Her father was having none of it. He wanted this for her. He wanted her to experience his home country and was so happy and proud of her. Which meant she couldn't bring herself to actually give up and go home.

But being in Korea and not interacting with Joshua and the other members of Seventeen she had come to adore was making her miserable. The plan was working but at the cost of her happiness.

-

Daena looked up from the book she was reading. She had found a sunny spot in the corner of the library and decided to spend her afternoon there.

Her phone buzzing from her bag had distracted her. She pulled it out to see she had received a message. It was from Hajoon the security guard at the agency.

'Haven't seen you around in a while, hope everything is okay'

This was the first time he had text her since they had exchanged numbers. Daena thought for a moment before responding.

'Yeah, lessons are on hiatus so I don't have much reason to be at the agency'

Hajoon responded almost immediately.

'Oh, well I've missed seeing you around the place'

Daena blushed. Maybe now was the right time to take Leah's advice and try something new. Hajoon seemed like a nice guy. Minji had spoke very highly of him.

'Well how about we get dinner later?'

As soon as she sent the message she regretted it. What if he said no? Maybe she had been too forward asking him to hang out like this. But before she had a chance to spiral any further her phone buzzed again.

'I'd love too, I'll book a table for 8pm and send you the details later'

Daena sighed with relief and then started to pack her things away. It was already 5pm and she needed time to get ready.

-

Daena checked the clock on the wall of her living room again. It was 7.15pm. She had finished getting ready earlier. Hajoon had text her the name of the restaurant and she had looked it up online to see if she needed to dress up or go casual.