Chapter 46

Seungkwan ended the call with Jeonghan. He was still reeling from the scene he had encountered earlier.

Even just relaying the events to Jeonghan had made his blood boil. He hadn't told Daena he had overheard exactly what that man had said to her. But then they hadn't had much time to talk since he had brought her inside. She was very clearly in shock.

He had told Jeonghan exactly what he had told Daena when she had struggled to ask him how he happened to be there when he had come to help.

He had been walking into work when he had seen her being quite literally dragged down the street by a man he thought he recognised but he couldn't be sure. It was clear they were having an argument and he could see Daena struggling to free herself from the man's grip. He had called the police and followed quietly behind keeping his distance but when Daena had screamed for help and the police were still nowhere to be seen he had just acted without thinking.

He hadn't even considered the danger he may be putting himself in, he had just rushed to help. Jeonghan had just reprimanded him for exactly this while also thanking him for saving his girlfriend from whatever is what that man planned to do with her. Jeonghan had also berated him for waiting so long to call and let him know what had happened but Seungkwan could hear the clear panic in his voice and knew he would get here soon.

Seungkwan walked back to the couch he had sat Daena on earlier. He had walked a fair distance away to talk to Jeonghan in case she overheard. Daena had barely moved, let alone spoken since he had brought her inside.

He sat carefully on the couch next to her.

"You guys can go if you're busy" he said to Mingyu and Wonwoo looking up at them.

Wonwoo nodded and quickly walked away clearly uncomfortable.

Mingyu on the other hand hesitated.

Seungkwan raised an eyebrow at him and Mingyu just shrugged at him response.

He had a suspicion Mingyu cared for Daena as more than just a friend or as Jeonghan's girlfriend. He had caught his friend looking at her a few times in a similar way to how Jeonghan used to but chosen tactfully not to ask. Mingyu's hesitation to leave now simply backed up his theory.

Seungkwan reached over and took the now room temperature coffee from Daena's hands. It didn't look like she had any.

He waved the cup in Mingyu's direction in question. Mingyu shook his head.

"Should we call a doctor?" Mingyu asked suddenly.

Seungkwan raised a finger to his lips and indicated his head towards Daena trying to gesture that they shouldn't be talking about her like she wasn't there.

Mingyu sighed and sat on the couch on her other side.

Seungkwan placed the still full coffee on the table in front of them and then reached out and took both of Daena's small hands in his. They were freezing so he started rubbing them in an attempt to warm her up.

He looked up at Daena with concern.

He hadn't spent that much time getting to know her. Chosing to keep his distance. He never really admitted it but he struggled to get close to new people and let them in. He knew some of the members cared deeply for her and she was very important to them but he hadn't been ready to open up to her yet. Not to mention he had watched the drama between his older members over her and decided it was better to stay out of it entirely.

But whatever had just happened had changed this for him. He now felt close to her in a way he couldn't explain.

If Jeonghan was as serious about this relationship as he made out Daena was maybe his future family. He saw Joshua and Hoshi already treat her like a sister.

When he had realised she was in danger he had briefly wondered what it would have felt like if it had been his real older sister in that situation. He now felt protective over Daena, the way he did for his own family.

Maybe this was his oppurtunity to get to know her better. It was just a shame it had to be such a terrible situation.

As Seungkwan looked at Daena he realised she had turned to look back at him as if she sensed his gaze.

"Seungkwan" She whispered. "Thank you.. I.. I don't know what..." she trailed off.

Seungkwan looked into her eyes and found they no longer looked empty the way the had when he had brought her inside. He couldn't be sure but her eyes were filled with an emotion, maybe a combination of gratitude and trust.

She gave his hands a quick squeeze.

"It's okay, I'm glad your safe" he said back quietly.

"What happened with the police?" She asked suddenly, louder than before.

Seungkwan glanced around her quickly at Mingyu and looked at him questioningly, trying to see if his friend also thought it was strange that she had so suddenly snapped out of the trance she had been in. Mingyu simply shrugged.

"Umm.. Well.." Seungkwan started but stopped, unsure how to explain. "They said they managed to catch up to him, he's in custody. I told them everything I saw but they want us both to go to the station soon and give proper statements"

Daena nodded. "Okay"

Seungkwan released one of her hands to run a hand through his hair. He felt so relieved that she was talking and behaving normally again.

"Ouch" Daena said suddenly.

Both Seungkwan and Mingyu turned to her to find her looking at her wrist which had a deep purple bruise starting to form around it.

"Do you want us to take you to a doctor?" Mingyu asked.

Daena flexed her wrist a few times. "Mm.. no.. its okay Mingyu. Its just a bruise it will heal"

Seungkwan and Mingyu both raised their eyebrows in surprise.

"Are you sure you are okay?" Mingyu asked.

Daena nodded. "I feel completely fine, thanks for your concern"

Mingyu shook his head like he didn't believe her.

"No.. really I feel fine, it just took me a while to process what happened. I really am okay" She said taking Mingyu by the hand as if to prove to him she really was fine.

"Is Jeonghan busy? Do you think I can go see him?" She asked.

Seungkwan was about to reply when he was interrupted by the sound of loud fast footsteps running down the hallway towards them.