Chapter 8

Daena tried calling both her parents on her way home but was met with their voicemails. Given the time difference it was sometimes difficult to get hold of them.

When she finally arrived home after taking the long way in an attempt to shake her nerves she realised she hadn't left herself much time to get ready.

Checking her phone she realised it was already 7pm and she would have to leave shortly after 8 to get to the agency building in time.

Another text had arrived from Joshua.

'Everyone is looking forward to meeting you' it read.

Reading this Daena felt the bundle of nerves she had managed to suppress during her long walk make their way back up to the surface.

The fact she didn't really know what she was to Joshua was what worried her the most. Before he had left all those years ago she had admitted to herself that she had developed a bit of a crush on Joshua, although she couldn't bring herself to admit it to him. There were moments in those last months before he left where she thought he might feel the same and they would take their relationship past friends.

Since she had arrived and seen him again she had been a bit scared of those feelings coming back. Joshua meant so much to her and her biggest fear back then and now was these feelings getting in the way of their friendship.

Although since she had arrived those feelings hadn't shown themselves the way she had expected and she wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. Of course she thought he was attractive, more than attractive in fact she couldn't believe he looked as good as he did but those butterflies she used to get everytime he looked at her when they were teenagers hadn't shown themselves yet.

If she allowed herself to think about it and admit it to herself she was disappointed. She had thought this might be their chance but now she wasn't so sure.

Before she could freak herself out anymore by overthinking Daena decided to get ready.

While staring at the clothes in her closet Daena thought about what Leah had said. Dress nicely to impress his friends.

Daena wasn't really into dressing up, when she wasn't working she would be comfortable favouring sweatpants and jeans over dresses and skirts.

Pulling out her favourite pair of denim jeans she also grabbed a white t shirt and her comfiest oversized sage green cardigan.

Daena knew she looked good in pastel tones and was happy with her outfit choice.

By the time she needed to leave Daena had got dressed in her outfit of choice which after sending pictures to Leah had also got her seal of approval, managed to curl her hair and touch up her light make up that she had worn throughout the day.

Daena quickly put on some tinted lipbalm before throwing it into her purse along with her keys and phone.

The agency building might be a 10 minute drive away from Daena's building but it was easily a 30 to 40 minute walk and Daena liked to be early and never late. It was something she took great pride in.

As Daena walked she took out her phone to text Joshua letting him know she would be early before putting in her headphones to occupy herself on the walk.

By the time the agency building came into view Daena was feeling surprisingly relaxed.

Entering the building she walked up to the main desk and explained who she was and why she was here.

Security had to be tight so they double and even triple checked her identification before handing her the pass that Joshua had indeed left for her as he had promised.