Chapter 23

A week had passed since the members had saved Daena from her uninvited guest. She had woken up the next day feeling like her normal self and had barely looked back on what really had been a terrifying experience. She wasn't sure if this was a good or bad thing. It didn't keep her up at night and she didn't find herself worrying about it or even looking over her shoulder to make sure she was safe. She felt safe knowing she could call on Joshua and he would answer even if he couldn't come himself.

Hoshi had text her the next day to let her know he had spoken to the managers and that Hajoon would not be returning to work at the agency and she wouldn't have to worry about bumping into him.

She was grateful Hoshi had done this before she had even had a chance to think about bumping into him. This gesture alone had made her feel more safe.

No, it wasn't her experience with Hajoon that night that had her unable to sleep. It was quite the opposite. As soon as her front door had opened and she realised who the three men standing in her apartment were she already started to feel a bit less scared. Hoshi wouldn't let anything happen to her and she was pretty sure Mingyu wouldn't either, she was starting to develop a bit of a soft spot for him.

She hadn't expected to see Jeonghan though. In fact the person she most expected to see walk through that door was Joshua. But he hadn't been able to come which he had called to explain the next day.

He clearly felt bad about not being able to be there for her himself and had stressed that he had sent Hoshi and Mingyu as he knew she would be safe with them.

Daena had not missed the fact that he did not mention sending Jeonghan. Daena was almost 100% certain that Joshua hadn't sent Jeonghan at all. A fact which had left her with more questions than answers.

She had seen the genuine concern and fear on his face and then the rage when he had seen Hajoon touching her. Knowing that he had chosen to come without Joshua sending him had confused things in Daena's head. More than they already were.

Jeonghan wasn't bigger or stronger than Hajoon but the moment he had pulled her to his side, away from Hajoon she knew she was really and truly safe and didn't need to be worried or scared anymore.

That night Jeonghan had become her safe place and she didn't know what that meant for her relationship with Joshua.

So for the last week she had done her best to avoid both boys and sort her head out.

She knew she needed to make a decision but she didn't know which one just yet.

She pulled out her phone to text Leah to meet her for a coffee.

-

Joshua was aware Daena was avoiding him. It had been a week since she had text him for help and he hadn't seen her at all. He had called to check she was okay and explain why he hadn't been able to come himself.

She had seemed fine with it all during the conversation they'd had but her responses to his messages were always very short and he could almost physically feel the distance she was putting between them.

He knew the reason of course. Hoshi had basically spelled it out for him after all.

Joshua sat in the corner of the practice room watching some of the members practice their choreography. Some of them were taking it seriously and some were messing about. After all they still had about 15 minutes before practice officially started.

Joshua sighed, all week he had been going over and over what Hoshi had said and knew he was right.

The only thing left for him to do was talk to Jeonghan, a point that S Coups had stressed to him everyday, that it was his job to fix the damage to their friendship.

Joshua watched as Jeonghan practiced, he could tell he was putting his all into it. This was something Joshua had noticed more and more frequently as the slow strain on their friendship had grown over the last few weeks, Jeonghan had thrown himself deeper and deeper into his work, maybe as a distraction.

Joshua met Jeonghan's eyes and gave him a weak smile. Jeonghan returned it. Joshua saw this as an opportunity to start repairing the damage, one look at S Coups confirmed this.

Joshua nodded his head towards the door signalling to Jeonghan that he wanted to speak to him in the corridor.

Jeonghan looked at him confused but continued to practice. They used to know what the other meant with the smallest gesture.

Joshua frowned and looked at S Coups.

S Coups frowned back at him and placed his hands on his hips inclining his head towards Jeonghan.

Joshua sighed again knowing what S Coups was asking. So he did as he was told.

Joshua stood up and crossed the room towards Jeonghan.

"Jeonghan?" He asked "Can we talk?"

Jeonghan stopped practicing and placed his hands in his pockets.

"Okay" he replied with a sigh.

Joshua walked out into the hall with Jeonghan trailing behind him. He was very aware of how quiet the room had suddenly become.

Once the door was closed behind him and he could hear the sounds of the members continuing he turned to Jeonghan.

Jeonghan looked anxious, his hands remained in his pockets and he leant against the wall beside the door, looking down at his feet rather than up at Joshua.

"I'm sorry" sighed Joshua. "For the things I've said"

Jeonghan looked up.

"I meant it when I said I didn't want this to come between us and now that it has I just want things to go back the way they were before" Joshua said quietly.

"I'm sorry too, but you need to understand I meant it when I said I won't stop" Jeonghan replied. Joshua could see the sadness in his eyes.

"I know and I won't ask you to. I've had some time to think this past week and Soonyoung has given me alot to think about" Joshua took a deep breath before continuing. "I'm not sure what I feel, if I'm holding onto the past or what, I won't disregard your feelings either, I know you feel something for her"

Jeonghan nodded.

Joshua continued "But I realised with Soonyoung's help that I don't think either of us have ever stopped to ask what Daena wants, or who she wants, if anyone at all"

Jeonghan frowned at this.

"I think we have to leave it with her to make this decision and agree to not let it come between us and respect her decision no matter what it is or who it is".

Joshua watched as Jeonghan took in his words. After a moment or two of silence Jeonghan finally spoke.

"You're right" he sighed. "It's not up to us, I've made my feelings clear to her I hope, I'm assuming you have done the same"

Joshua nodded.

"Well then that's all there is to it" as he said this Jeonghan stepped away from the wall and moved towards the practice room.

"Wait" Joshua said stopping Jeonghan.

"Do you think we can repair what we have done to our friendship?" He asked quietly.

Jeonghan smirked at him before wrapping an arm around his shoulders.

"There's nothing to repair my friend" he laughed dragging Joshua into the practice room with him.