Chapter 48

Daena closed her front door behind her grateful to finally be home.

It had been a long and exhausting day. Jeonghan had indeed taken her and Seungkwan to the police station as he had said and waited outside in the car for good measure.

It had taken them hours, they had both gone over their statements multiple times separately and together.

Finally after a long wait the officer in charge of the case had come to speak to them together.

Both Daena and Seungkwan had been shocked at what he said. Hajoon after being caught had almost immediately confessed and their statements had matched with his version of events perfectly. He had already agreed to plead guilty. The officer informed them that Hajoon had gone as far as to practically beg them to lock him up. Apparently once he had been caught and left alone with his thoughts he had been shocked by his own behaviour.

The good news was this meant no going to trials and being witnesses. There would be a very simple trial where he would plead guilty which they had been invited to attend but had both refused profusely. Daena chose not to go because really she didn't ever want to see him again. Seungkwan on the other hand had chosen not to because it meant his name would be kept off the record.

Daena sighed and flopped down on the sofa leaning her back against the arm and stretching out as far as she could.

She would have laid down if Jeonghan wasn't taking up the seat at the other end. She bent her legs at the knees so Jeonghan would have enough space.

Jeonghan sighed as well and reached for her legs stretching them out and placing them across his lap. He kept one hand resting on them.

This was something he had started doing since they had left the agency earlier. He had to be touching her in some way. Almost like he was reassuring himself she was there with him.

Daena looked over at him and found him staring back at her.

He had been doing this all day as well. Studying her. Checking every emotion on her face.

She understood why. He was worried of course. But she really was okay. She had initially freaked out at the situation but after spending some time in her own head she had processed it and chosen to move on.

To her it was no longer a big deal. It could of been and she was very aware of that fact. But it wasn't, she was home safe, that man would be likely going to jail if not a mental hospital. She had focused on the fact she was safe and that is what had snapped her out of her shock.

She had always been like this, it took her a moment to process when something bad happened to her but she usually found a way to move past it. After all what is the point on dwelling on the past, you can't change it. Why should she let her life be tainted by this? That was what he wanted after all, to ruin her life and she would not let him succeed by taking even a second of her happiness away.

She smiled at Jeonghan who looked back at her like she had just grown a second head.

"How many times do I have to say I'm fine for you to believe me?" She asked him.

Jeonghan raised an eyebrow. "I just... what happened was awful and you're just acting like nothing at all happened"

Daena shuffled along the sofa so she was closer to him and reached out to take his hand in her's running her thumb across the back of it.

"It is nothing. I'm here with you. Don't let him win by taking away our happiness" She said quietly.

Jeonghan looked down. "But you could of..." he trailed off.

"Don't even think about it. It didn't happen. Don't worry about what might have happened" She said again desperately trying to reassure him. She was pretty sure he had been a few shades paler since he had found out.

Jeonghan sighed. "I guess you are right" he looked down at their intertwined hands. "As long as you are okay I am okay"

His phone buzzed from his pocket. He reached in and grabbed it before frowning at it in annoyance.

"Oh come on" he groaned.

"What?" Daena asked.

"Seungkwan went home and told everyone. Joshua and Hoshi are furious at me for not calling" he replied.

"You didn't call?" Daena exclaimed shocked. He had waited in the car for hours earlier, she assumed he would have called during that time.

"No.. I didn't"

Daena pulled out her phone and sent a quick message to both boys.

"What are you doing?" Jeonghan asked.

"Telling them to leave you alone and that I'm fine and if they are that worried they can come see for themselves" She explained.

"Don't, they actually will" Jeonghan whined.

"So.. if it shuts them up" Daena replied furiously typing.

"You are feisty tonight" Jeonghan laughed brushing his hair off his face with his free hand. He had chosen to grow it out a decision Daena very much agreed with and it was at a length where it was constantly getting in his eyes.

Daena put her phone down. "Mmm well I just don't feel like they have any right to be mad at you"

"Why's that?" He asked.

"Well you were worried too right? I would understand if calling them slipped your mind and they should too" She explained.

Her phone buzzed and she picked it up and laughed before turning it around to show Jeonghan.

"See, now they understand and told me to tell you they are sorry. They will see me tomorrow"

Jeonghan smiled. "You are amazing you know"

"Someone has to protect you all from each other, honestly I would never have thought you all argue this much" She replied.

"No I mean.. Well yes that but also you've handled this all so well. I'm sort of in awe of you" he said quietly.

She leant forward and gave him a light kiss on the cheek "Mmm.. Well in that case can you order me some food. I am starving"

"Sure, what do you want?" He asked.

"You chose" She replied.

"Hmm I want a burger" Jeonghan said.

"You want? Are you staying?" Daena asked.

Jeonghan looked at her confused. "I.. you asked me to order food. Did you mean just for you?" He asked.

Daena nodded. "Fine, you can stay for dinner but then home, I don't want you to miss work tomorrow because of me" She instructed.

"No.. sorry no can do. You will have to give me a few days before I will be happy to leave you alone" he replied.

Daena got up. "So not only are you staying for dinner you want to stay the night?" She asked as she walked to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

"Yes" Jeonghan replied.

"Okay.. but..." She started but Jeonghan interrupted her.

"I know, I'm sleeping on the couch" he said laughing.