Chapter 3- The Man on the Roof

I've been awake for a few minutes, though I've just been laying on my cot and staring at the top of the tent. 

When I hear Alyssa giggle with Sophia, I decide to finally get up. I throw on black jean shorts, a dark green t-shirt, and my black converses. I holster my gun and dagger on my belt and step out of the tent. 

Today is hot.

I woke up way later than everyone so it's around eleven o'clock. 

My dad pulls up in a black jeep with water barrels in the back. "Water's here, folks." He says, hoping out of the jeep. 

I grab my water bottle from my backpack and walk over and get in line for water. 

I see Amy staring at my thighs and I look down, "Oh." I forgot that I can't wear shorts. Or t-shirts but my wrists are less noticeable. 

I tug my shorts down and fill my water bottle. 

A loud scream comes from deep in the woods. 

"Carl?!" Lori yells and runs to the woods. "Alyssa?!" I follow her, Rick, Glenn, T-Dog, and my dad. Carl, Jaqui, and Alyssa emerge from the brush. 

I hug Alyssa and without saying anything, she points behind her. I nod and follow the rest of the men and find a Walker chewing up some deer. A deer that has Daryl Dixon's arrows in its leg. 

I scoff, "Paybacks a bitch." I mumble. 

The men start to beat the Walker and I just stand back and watch. 

Dale comes (from what seems like out of nowhere) and chops it's head off with an axe. 

"Cool." I think, as I see the head roll away. 

We hear leaves crunching around us and I unsheathe my dagger. All of us are looking around when Daryl Dixon emerges from behind a rock.

"Son of a bitch! That was mah' deer!" He walks over to the Walker's headless body and begins kicking it. "Piece of shit, no good, skin eating, disease welling, bastard!" "Calm down, Daryl." Dale says. 

"Calm down? I' been trackin' this damn thing for miles!" Just then, the head begins to chomp and opens it's eyes. 

I crouch down and stab it in the brain with my dagger. 

"The brain guys," I stand up and look at everyone. "It's the brain." 

"I got us about a dozen squirrels or so, it'll have to do." Daryl says, showing the squirrels tied to a rope that's resting on his shoulder. 

"Alyssa's not gonna like that.

Everybody makes their way back up to camp again. 

"Yo! Merle! Get your dirty ass out here! I got us some squirrels to eat!" Daryl yells, setting the squirrels down. 

Everybody looks around nervously. 

"Daryl, I actually uh...have something to talk to you about." Daryl turns to Shane. 

"Yeah? 'Bout what?" 

"About your brother. There was um...a problem, back there, In Atlanta." 

"'s that mean he's dead?" Daryl questions, looking around. 

"This is about to get good.

"We don't know." I scoff at my dad's words. 

"'The hell you mean 'you don't know'?! He either is or he ain't, there ain't no in between." "Well now there is." I mumble. "Shut your mouth, girl!" Daryl says, glaring at me. I decide to bite my tongue since Daryl's worried about Merle and I really don't want to escalate the situation.