Chapter 113- Blizzard

(TW!! Mentions of drug usage and suicide!!)

It's been a few months since Damien and Cato's death. That night, Siddiq gave a speech but I was too cowardly to show up. Alyssa didn't either, Inejra went with Gabriel and Rosita and relayed the message back to us. According to Siddiq, before they died, everyone fought back, even for people they didn't know. They "fought like hell" and things even started looking up. 

Until they didn't. 

We went back to Alexandria a little while after Damien and Cato died. Everyone seemed to be walking on eggshells around me, honestly for good reason. I tried to relapse, searched high and low for any drug that wouldn't harm anyone for me to use but nothing. 

Fucking nothing. 

Alyssa and I have barely spoken. In fact, I've barely spoken to anyone. Several people have tried to get me to speak, to get me to smile, to give me comfort. But what's the point? The only two people who managed to ever do that in my biggest time of need were Damien and Cato. I still can't believe they're gone. I don't want to believe it. 

This is worse than Abraham. 

This is worse than Glenn and my dad. 

This is bad.

I can't even look at my fake foot knowing "I'd rather you not hop on one leg like a douche. -Damien." is on the bottom. 

I finally found out what Damien and Cato were so excited to tell me. 

It's been a few weeks since Damien and Cato's death and we made it back to Hilltop. I can't even step foot in their fucking house.

"Adrian," Magna gasps, running up to me and wrapping me in a hug- to which I don't indulge. "Are you okay?" Judging by the sudden rock in my throat and pit in my stomach, I know if I open my mouth to respond, I'll break down. As a response, my chin and corners of my lip quiver in a silent "no." 

Magna sighs and hugs me again, whispering, "I am so sorry, Adrian." 

I sniff and almost silently respond, "Me too." 

She breaks the hug and hesitates before looking at someone near the infirmary. She turns back to me after they nod to her, "Did they tell you?"

I clench my jaw, "Tell me what?" 

"Beatrice?" I raise an eyebrow in a silent "What?" and Magna inhales. "They told everyone to keep it a secret because they wanted to see your reaction for themselves-"

"Magna...don't. You're only making this worse."

She nods, "Um...come with me." Any excuse to not go to their house or Cato's holding room before Maggie decided to allow him to be one of the residents is a good excuse. Magna doesn't try to hold my hand, she doesn't look at me, but she simply brushes her hand against mine for comfort. "Damien and Cato actually found her. She's about five, they wanted to take her in but she was incredibly sick. She ended up staying in a separate room in the infirmary for a while." 

Who? I'm so confused right now. 

"I was informed about this when Tammy went to talk to her before she left for the fair. Tammy told me all about it and how much Damien and Cato wanted her. They found her, fell in love, and were ecstatic. They kept it a secret from you until she got better. And now she is." 

She leads me to the infirmary where a little girl lay. She's got big, brown eyes, chubby cheeks, and reddish, short, curly hair. She's got a small button nose and rosy lips with pale skin and freckles dotting her nose like a constellation.