Chapter 110- Unexpected

In the morning, I see Magna and Yumiko walking in the gates. Magna catches my eye and she half-smiles at me, to which I return. 

Damien nudges my shoulder, "You guys seem to like each other." 

"Why'd you say it like that." I groan, turning away from Magna and looking at him. 

He smirks, "No reason." 

"Adrian! Daryl!" Tara screams from her watch post with Yumiko. She had gone up there presumably to talk to Tara about sneaking out. 

"Oh fuck." I whisper-yell, getting up and running to the watch post with Magna, Daryl, and Damien. 

All six of us somehow fit up there, staring down at the group of people dressed in Walker skins standing before the Walker-protectant gates. In front of them, an unmasked bald woman stands before the log staffs poking out of the ground. 

"I am Alpha. And we only want one thing from you. My daughter." The woman says in a heavy Southern accent. 

I clench my jaw in anticipation, their ominous presence causing goosebumps to dance along my skin. I don't know why they're so scary but...they're ominus. Just standing there, a few of them with their heads tilted. 

After a few seconds, Kelly and Cato practically leap up the ladder onto the post as well, watching what we're watching. Connie is hiding in the cornfield, safely away from the group.

"Our community is more than capable of defending itself!" Tara announces to the group in front of us. 

"I show you my face because we mean you no harm. I just want my daughter. I know you have her." Alpha says. 

"You should turn around. Leave now and no one gets hurt." Daryl projects. 

I pause and look at Daryl, "Why don't we just give Lydia to her?" I whisper. "I'd rather lose someone I don't even know than lose you or Tara or anyone else." 

"Nah," Daryl whispers. "We're not givin' her back to that." 

I huff through my nose and turn back to the skins group as they don't respond, just staring at us. 

"Wrong answer." Alpha says, holding her hand up. Just as she does that, about two dozen more of the skins come out of seemingly nowhere. I feel the hair on my neck stand up and I rest my hand on my gun, gripping the handle but not grabbing it. 

"They don't see her." Kelly says to Tara, talking about Connie. "At least not yet." 

Daryl looks at me, "That girl told me what her mom does to her. We ain't sendin' her back to that." 

Oh.

I nod, "That's why." I whisper almost soundlessly. 

Daryl nods, "That's why." 

"Yeah, but what if she has Alden and Luke?" Tara suggests. "Pissing her off can get them killed." 

"Did you kill our friends?" Magna asks Alpha. "We found their horses." 

"No. Which one of you leads these people?" Alpha responds. 

"The hell's it matter?" Daryl sasses. 

"Then I'll just address all of you. Your people crossed into our land. There will be no conflict. Your people killed our people. There will be no conflict. I'm done talkin'. Bring me my daughter or there will be conflict." 

"No one touches the girl." Daryl whispers before turning and starting down the ladder. 

"No- Daryl." I say, turning and following him.