Chapter 121- Kaboom

(TW!! Mentions of suicide!!)

The trip back to Alexandria was awful, Alyssa was in excruciating pain, both physically and emotionally; we haven't said a single word. Not one of us. Other than to say "bye" to the majority of the group. The only people who go to Alexandria are me, Alyssa, and Aaron. 

Once we make it back inside, we see Gabriel and Scott staring at a few graves. "Aaron." Scott says as he sees Aaron. He jogs over to him and gives him a hug, smiling at Alyssa and I. 

Gabriel stares at us, "Where's Inejra?" I can hear full fear in his voice, not just panic. That familier pit opens up in my stomach again, but not the drug kind, the nervous kind. Alyssa's lip quivers but she doesn't respond, I can tell if she does, she'll break down. "Adrian, where the hell is my daughter?" Gabriel presses, walking over to us. 

I hesitate, just staring at him with solemn eyes. "She um..." My voice cracks and I have to take a deep breath to steady it, trying my hardest not to cry. "She didn't make it out." 

Gabriel stumbles back, the color from his face draining. His breath comes out in a shudder, almost like he's been sitting in the cold for hours on end. "What?" 

"We don't know if she's dead," I quickly add, looking at Aaron and Scott who are both watching us. "She's trapped."

Alyssa's face twists into a slight cry and she turns her head, hiding her face from everyone. "I'm sorry, Gabriel." She whispers almost soundlessly. 

I can see his bottom lip quiver ever so slightly but he holds in his tears, "What are the chances of her survival?" 

I shake my head, "I don't know. But she's got Damien and Cato on her side. And you've got God on your's so...he'll help her out." 

When Gabriel nods, I can tell he's not fully in the conversation. He's staring at me but not at me. It's like he's looking through me, trying to pick apart my memories to see if he should prepare himself for Inejra's death or not. 

We're at Hilltop now, we left first thing in the morning. Apparently, Beta came to Alexandria and killed Laura, along with a few others. Rosita's bicep got sliced in the process so she's going to Hilltop for medical attention as well. Beatrice- thank god, was with Judith so she's not hurt at all. There are two carts, one with Judith, Aaron, Gracie, RJ, and a girl named Jackie. In mine, there's me, Alyssa, Beatrice, Rosita, and the Whisperer named Mary. 

Seeing Alyssa's face so goddamn dull and gloomy physically hurts me. I feel like all of the color is gone from the world when her color is gone. I sent her off to the infirmary to get her leg wrapped and Beatrice and I are now just walking around. "Are you okay?" Beatrice asks, already knowing the answer no matter how much I lie. I don't respond, I can't. I'm not. Not even close. Gabriel trusted me with his daughter to keep her safe and I failed because Carol had to be a cunt. 

"Bug-a-boo, I need you to promise me something," I start, turning to her and crouching in front of her. She nods but doesn't respond to allow me to continue. "Never, and I mean never go anywhere with Carol. Do you understand me?" 

She nods again, "I understand. I promise." I give her a dull half-smile and pull her in for a hug, hugging her tighter than I thought I would. She giggles, "Adri, I can't breathe." 

I chuckle softly and break the hug, "Sorry, I..." My voice trails off when I see Daryl, Lydia, Kelly, Yumiko, and Luke walking into the brick house. As well as several other people. I don't want to leave Beatrice again so I nod to her and she and I jog over to the house. 

According to Lydia, Alpha is coming, along with the horde. "We have to go." Lydia says, pacing the room. "Even if you took out half the herd in that cave, she's got thousands left. You can't stay here." Inside the room is Rosita, Daryl, Earl, and a bunch of other people. I left Beatrice in the room outside of the office, just so I know she's near.