Chapter 49- Rock

My heart pounds as we finally make it into the woods, we had to leave Tyreese behind has he got surrounded. 

We continue to run through the woods quickly as Walkers slowly follow us. The air around me burns as I breath heavily, trying to catch my breath. 

Damn smoker lungs.

"Hol' up." Daryl says, stopping in an open area outside of the woods. He crouches down and reloads his crossbow.

Damien smirks at me as Daryl's arms flex. I just scoff and shake my head. Everyone's breathing is heavy and ragged, the fight and the run was surprisingly super tiring. 

The rustling of leaves from where we came from catches our attention. I grip my whip tighter, ready to crack it if need be. 

After a second of the rustling of the leaves, two Walkers emerge. I get my whip ready but before I can move, one Walker gets hit from behind and collapses to the ground, dead. 

Tyreese is standing behind it, Walker guts all over his shirt- I don't think it's on purpose, and his chest rising and falling incredibly quickly with the aftermath of his fight. 

He collapses to his knees while I crack my whip on the remaining Walkers head. "Damn." I mumble. "A fuckin' god." 

Daryl quickly runs up to him and grabs his arm, "Come on, let's go." He says, beginning to run again. Walkers begin to file out of the woods, more and more by the second. 

I groan and toss my head back, "Smoker lungs!" I yell quietly before running full speed again. 

Michonne and Damien fall into step next to me, running as fast as possible to avoid being torn apart. 

We continue to run for a few minutes until we find a creek. The sun shines through the break in the trees and the sound of the stream quietly grows louder and louder as we approach it. 

Tyreese strips his shirt off and sits next to the creek, cleaning his shirt. The rest of us stand together, looking at the map on a small wooden bridge over the creek. 

Michonne points to a little blue line twisting and turning throughout the map. "This is turner creek so Barnesville must be a few miles downstream." "Sounds like our best chance at findin' a new ride." Bob says. "Yo! Ty!" Daryl yells to Tyreese, alerting him. Tyreese looks up at all of us, his eye still swollen from Rick's punches. 

"Come on, let's go. Vamanos." Daryl cocks his head to the side as a symbol to begin walking again so we comply, Bob stays back for a second. 

We walk through the woods for a while until a gravel road appears. I look to Damien, "Wanna see who can kick a rock for the longest without it going off the road?" "Oh you're on." 

We call it "Rock kick", super creative. 

Damien and I did it all the time when we were on the road after the farm. We're both so stubborn that at one point, we had been kicking two rocks for so long that they turned into almost perfect circles. The longest one of us lasted was over two weeks. 

We let the rest of the group walk in front of us as we search for "the perfect rock". 

"You know," Damien says, bent down and searching for a rock. "Well, A, I'm gonna win. And B, this is gonna be a hell of a lot harder since it's a gravel road." "Mm, you're just saying that because you know I'll win- ooh!" I grab a rock the size of my palm. "Boom." I say with a smirk. Damien smiles and picks up a rock a little bigger than mine. 

"Size doesn't matter." He says with a smirk. "Yeah, it does. Why do you think I'm with Daryl?" We both burst out laughing, "I have no doubt in my mind that that's why you're with Daryl." He says in between laughs.