Chapter 126- Alden

"She's okay, Adrian. Daryl has her." Negan assures me.

I sniff and wipe my nose, "And what if Daryl gets hurt? Or kidnapped? Or killed? Then what? She's hurt, Negan. Bad." 

"So are you." 

We've decided to take a break from running for only a few minutes. We both have smoker lungs, Negan's leg is killing him and my side is killing me; my arm wound isn't terrible. We're sitting inside an abandoned mall, drinking the last of our water, and praying to who-ever-the-hell that we're not being followed. The room we're in is cleared out, the only thing left is a few pieces of furniture and creepy-ass mannequins. 

I don't reply, I just stare at the wall in front of us. I jump up at the sound of a crash toward the left of us, a few feet down. Negan and I look at each other and grip our weapons, my knuckles turning white around my whip. 

A few seconds after the crash, grunting and groaning come from a woman and man. Maggie and Alden. Without thinking, I immediately run to the scene, yes, I don't like them, but I don't care. I'd still risk my life for them. Footsteps behind me let me know Negan is following.

Approaching Alden, he's underneath a masked asshole. The asshole is beating the every-loving shit out of him. The man suddenly looks up and makes eye contact with me. When I go to crack my whip, he grabs it and rips it out of my hand. Before I can grab my knife, two cylinders roll across the floor. 

Forgetting Alden, I dive behind a shelf, protecting myself from the explosion of the grenades. My ears ring and my head shakes from the sound, smoke circling into my lungs and prickling my eyes. My arm covers my mouth as I cough, trying to get the smoke out of my lungs. 

When I peek around the shelf, the man is gone, and Alden is sitting against another shelf. When I crouch next to him, Maggie mirrors me on the other side. 

"Jesus." Negan grumbles at Alden. 

His face is covered in bruises and blood and his black t-shirt has two slices in it with blood pouring out of it.

"Let me see." Maggie says softly.

"Sure thing, boss." Alden groans, flinching as Maggie pulls his shirt up. 

Under his shirt, are two open, disgusting wounds from the man's knife. The cuts are deep, and they're leaking blood rapidly.

"That good, huh?" Alden sasses, noticing Maggie and I's reaction.

"You think you can walk?" Maggie asks. 

"Not gonna know until we try." Alden says, allowing Maggie and I to help him stand up.

"Woah, woah, woah. You're not seriously thinking that we keep going." Negan says. 

"They'll be back, Negan. We gotta get the hell outta' here." I state, allowing Alden to sit back down so Maggie can wrap his wound.

"Wait, what exactly is the plan here?" Negan asks. 

Maggie replies, "The plan doesn't change. We need that food. We get to the radio tower, find the supply house, and wait for the others." 

"Hold on, what?" I exclaim, backing away from Alden. "Half of our group is missing." My side stings as I take a step closer to her, "My sister is missing. Waiting isn't gonna end in our favor. When has it ever?" 

Negan nods, "Not to mention, those people, they just told us exactly how insane they are. We can't be on a road. We can't be on any road they can see us on. It's a shit plan." 

"Then you tell me a better one that doesn't starve us all." Maggie hisses through clenched teeth. When Negan and I don't respond, she nods, "Right." 

"I am on your side, Maggie." Negan whispers. "Both of us are." Woah. Getting a little ahead of yourself but whatever.