Chapter 93- Re-Traumatized

(Shorter chapter!! Needed the backstory!!)

(TW!! Mentions of abuse, drug usage, self-harm, s/a!!)

Everyone is finally coming home, all of us, minus Cato because he's in the cell, are waiting at the gates. 

Once everyone steps out of the cars, Inejra steps a few feet closer. "Where's Gabriel?" She asks, worry flooding her voice. 

Shit, I got so caught up with Damien and Cato I totally forgot to tell her.

I approach Inejra and crouch before her, "Gabriel didn't-" 

"No." She cuts me off, shaking her head. Her chin trembles though she's keeping a hard exterior. 

I nod, "We don't know if he's dead, 'nej. He went back to help Gregory, didn't show up at the rendezvous." I pause, "We don't know if he's dead." 

Inejra inhales shakily and allows Alyssa to hold her hand, "He could still be alive." She whispers to herself. 

"He is alive. And once the Saviors are finished, if he's still not back, we'll go look for him. I'll go with you even if nobody else wants to go." Alyssa suggests. 

Carl stands next to Alyssa, "We'll go with you, 'nej." He says, putting his arm around Alyssa's shoulder. 

I nod, "You know I'll go with you, Damien too." 

Inejra nods and sniffs, "It's Gabriel. He's God's best fuckin' friend, he's not dyin'." 

Alyssa smiles and nods, "Exactly." 

I look over and see Daryl staring at me from a distance, leaning up against a tree. 

I sigh and chew on my cheek, "'nej, I'll be right back." She nods and allows me to stand up and walk away. 

I make my way over to Daryl, my whole body filling with dread with every step I take. 

He straightens up when I'm closer to him though he doesn't walk to me, he just waits for me to walk to him.

"Hey," I start, crossing my arms. 

"Hey," He replies, nodding his head upward and looking at me with his same protective eyes. "It's starting to scar." He notes, talking about the gash on my face.

I nod, "Blurred the bottom half of my left eye." 

He nods, "There's a red scar in your eye right there." 

"No shit?" I say, "Honestly that's pretty sick." 

He scoffs, "Adds to your...'badassery'. 's what I heard Alyssa call it." 

I roll my eyes with a slight smirk, "Thanks." 

We don't say anything after that, we just stare at each other. I can tell we both barely recognize each other. 

I mean, I refused to go with him when he escaped, threatened to rat him out, fought him when he drugged me, cheated on him with Nick, stayed with the group that had him held hostage and basically tortured, basically I'm a shit wife. 

The silence isn't awkward, we're just standing here, taking each other fully in. 

"Daryl," I begin, sighing as I speak. I can tell by his expression, he knows exactly where this is gonna go. 

"I-" I cut myself off to figure out what the hell I'm gonna say. "I can't." is all I manage to say. 

He nods and chews on his lower lip, causing my heart to throb.