Chapter 32- Lil' Ass-Kicker

(TW!! Mentions of drug usage!!)

I stand with Alyssa, her body wrapped in my arms. She's tense and shaky, I don't know if I want to know what she saw or did. I can hear her quiet whimpers as Daryl makes sure Rick is okay. 

She's whispering something that I can't quite make out, she just keeps repeating it. 

The baby is crying, screaming. We didn't really think this through about how we were going to feed a baby if something happened to Lori. 

"Let me see the baby." Hershel says. It feels like my ears are ringing, all I can really hear are my own thoughts.

Stop showing emotion. Every single time you start to open back up and show emotion, someone dies. Not this time. No more crying, no more giggling, nothing. You're done. 

Carl slowly walks over to Hershel; Maggie had given him the baby to hold. 

"What are we gonna feed it? We got anythin' a baby can eat?" Daryl asks. 

Hershel checks the baby a little bit and says, "The good this is she looks healthy. But she'll need formula. And soon or she won't survive." 

"Nope, no way. Not her. We ain't losing nobody else. I'm goin' for a run." 

"I'll back you up." Maggie quickly says. "I'll go, too." Glenn offers as well. "Me too." I let go of Alyssa, sling my bow and arrow over my shoulder, and grab my backpack.

I know they don't need four people but, the medication aisle is calling my fuckin' name. And I owe it to Lori.

"Okay, think where we're goin'. Beth," He calls Beth to him and whispers something to her. 

Alyssa turns to me, "Be careful...please." The pain in her voice is evident. I nod and squeeze her shoulder lightly. "I promise." The pleading looks in her eyes is enough to make me start crying again. That kid's been through too much in the past year, I'll be damned if I give her one more thing to cry about.

"Glenn, Maggie, Adrian, vamanos." Daryl waves us to him.

Rick quickly grabs his axe and runs into the prison, "Rick!" Maggie calls. It doesn't even make him hesitate, he doesn't even turn back and look. 

"Get the gate!" Daryl orders. "Come on, we're gonna lose the light!" Damien and I exchange a glance before I quickly jog to Daryl, Glenn and Maggie follow. 

We're all quickly jogging to the car, trying to make good enough time. "There's a Piggly Wiggly on 85." Glenn mentions. "No, the baby section's been cleared. Lori asked me to keep an eye out. I haven't had much luck." Maggie speeds in front of the group and walks quickly, leading us to the cars. 

"Is there any place that hasn't been completely looted?" Daryl asks. "We saw signs for a shopping center just north of here." Glenn recalls, slowing to a stop. 

"Yeah but there's too much debris on the road, a car will never get through there." Maggie peaks her head out of the van. "I can take one of 'ya." Daryl says, walking to his motorcycle. 

"I'll go." I say, nodding to Daryl. "Adrian are you sure?" Glenn asks. I nod, "Yeah." I say as I walk over to Daryl's motorcycle and climb on it, wrapping my arms around his waist. 

He speeds out of the fence, the motorcycle grumbles under us. 

The scene of trees, buildings, Walkers, and trash speed past us as one big blur. 

After a few minutes, we finally find a small daycare. Daryl pulls the motorcycle over and parks it, both him and I climb off.