Chapter 57- Shirt

(TW!! Mentions of s/a, drug usage, and abuse!!)

Joe is talking about Rick, and I know it. 

He's ranting to the group about finding this "son-of-a-bitch" who killed one of their men. I refuse to say "our" because I will never be a part of this goddamn group.

Tony, who got a glimpse of Rick, is Joe's savior right now since he's the "only" one who knows what Rick looks like. They're pissed and for Rick's sake, I'm praying we never find him.

Daryl has "claimed" me a few times just to get me alone so we can talk

I told him about the house and Michonne and Carl leaving to go find supplies, leaving Rick and me, and how I wouldn't be surprised if Rick heard everything that first time because there was no way he had left yet. 

Daryl was pissed at Rick for not helping me but I quickly explained how Rick could have gotten both of us killed and Carl and Michonne. 

I took my shirt off to clean the wounds on my back because Billy got pissed at me for fighting back. He grabbed his knife and slashed a few wounds on my back. Not enough to cause too much damage but enough to scar. 

Before I managed to put it back on, Billy claimed it because it's a trophy so now I'm walking around in 50-degree weather in a bra. 

Daryl has offered me his flannel more than once but Joe continues to say that "I have to earn it" or whatever the hell his reasons are. 

My teeth chatter as goosebumps rise on my arms as a big gust of wind passes through. The leaves on the orange and red trees shiver at the quick temperature drop. 

The sun is starting to set and Joe has picked up a small trail of dead Walkers leading to a secluded road though we've stayed in the trees to stay out of sight.

Daryl slows down to fall into step beside me as I still refuse to walk next to anyone other than him. 

"How's your back?" He whispers. 

"Hurts." I respond, flatly. 

He nods, "What if we do find Rick?" 

The question I didn't want to think about. 

"We kill these bitches and join Rick again." I tear my eyes away from the almost fully black trees ahead and look at Daryl. "You didn't actually think I would let these rapists live, right?" 

His head shakes, "No," I nod, "Good. Because, my back fucking aches, my legs are still shaking, and I can barely look at you though I know you would never do something like...that." Daryl winces at my words like it's happening to him.

At this point, the sun has fully set and we're walking around almost blinded in the woods. 

"Sh!" Joe shushes loudly. Daryl and I quickly quiet down and look forward. 

"That's him." Tony whispers. 

My heart stops and Daryl and I quickly look at each other. 

"Fuck." I whisper, running quietly to stand next to Joe to get a good view. 

If I can't save Rick, holy shit if I can't save Rick.

"Hold onto your tits, Adrian." Joe looks at me with an excited smile. "It's about to get rowdy." 

My heart picks up its pace way more than it should have. So much that I immediately start sweating and feel hot and my hands tremble ever so slightly. 

Without another word, Joe starts towards Rick and Michonne, who are sitting around a fire on the side of the road. Carl is sleeping soundlessly in the broken car next to them.