Chapter 30- Shit Happens

Rick, Daryl, T-Dog, and I all take the prisoners to grab weapons after bringing food back to C block. 

Gunman picks up a hammer. "Why do I need this, when I've got his?" He holds up his gun. "Not unless your back's up against a wall. Noise attracts them. It really riles 'em up." Daryl says. 

"We'll go in two by two. Daryl and T will run point with Adrian. I'll bring up the rear with you." Rick points to the shortest man. "Stay tight, hold formation no matter how close the Walkers get. Anyone breaks ranks, we could all go down. Anyone runs off, they could get mistaken for a Walker, end up with an axe to the head." 

"And that's where you aim. These things only go down with a headshot." Daryl adds. 

"You ain't gotta tell us how to take out a man." "Yeah, after dropping your soap every three seconds- I'm sure you know how to take a man out." I scoff. They all look at me, "Adrian." Rick says through gritted teeth; Daryl has to hide a smirk. 

"Just remember, go for the brain." Rick says, disregarding my comment. 

We all begin walking down the halls, searching for another cellblock. 

The sound of clanging grabs everyone's attention. "It's coming!" The handlebar man says way too loudly. Rick shushes him quickly and Daryl holds his hand up, signaling us to wait. Two Walkers round the corner and being stumbling to us, growling and snarling.

After a moment of silence, other than the sound of the prisoner's breathing and the two Walker's growls, the prisoners all yell out and run to the Walkers. They begin to stab and beat them, not even touching the head.

I throw my hands up and toss my head back. "This is what we're saving?" Daryl scoffs, "Guess so." The sight of them trying their hardest to stab them in the stomach, beat them, and just try to kill them all together without actually making a dent makes me chuckle a bit. 

After a little bit, Daryl and I nod to each other, and we shoot both of the Walkers with our arrows. Without another word, we all begin walking again. 

A few minutes later, another Walker walks through the doorframe of a hallway. 

"It's gotta be the brain." Daryl says, aiming his crossbow at the Walker. "Not the stomach, not the heart- the brain." He shoots his crossbow and quickly takes the Walker down. 

As another Walker stumbles through the doorframe, handlebar man says, "I hear you. The brain." The second tallest kills the Walker by hitting it in the top of the head with a crowbar. 

"Like that?" He asks. "Uh-huh." Daryl replies. 

Handlebar man kills another Walker as it stumbles in. There's one more left, Rick kills it quickly with his machete. 

"Stay in tight formation. No more prison riot crap." He says, stepping back into our group as we tighten closer together. 

Walkers begin quickly coming in the corner that we're all standing, all of the prisoners jump into action, killing them one by one. 

A scream comes from the room behind us, Rick runs in and shortly after, three shots are fired. Daryl, T-Dog, and I all look at each other. 

"You have got to be kidding me." I groan, running in there. 

Gunman is standing with his gun aimed at a dead Walker, Big Tiny's back is bleeding and Rick looks furious. 

Everyone runs in and Rick makes Big Tiny turn around. A big gash is on his lower shoulder blade, blood seeps out of it. 

"I'm fine. It's just a scratch." He pleads. "I'm sorry man." Rick looks at his feet. "I can keep fighting!" "You cut that old man's leg off to save his life-" The shortest gets interrupted by Rick. "Look at where the bite is!"