Chapter 69- Rattlesnake

(TW!! Mentions of abuse, s/a, self-harm, and drug usage!!)

We all cautiously approach the brown metal gate surrounded by a blue metal wall. Aaron slowly helps Eric in and a sudden thump to the left of us causes us to immediately aim our weapons to where the sound came from.

When a little possum comes scurrying out of the trashcan next to us, Daryl immediately shoots it. I let out a sigh of relief until I look back at the gate.

Nick.

What if Nick is there? No, he's a whole state away.

Adrenaline and worry cause my fingers to tingle and shake, even the scars on my back are screaming "Turn back!"

The gate fully opens as Daryl grabs the possum. "We brought dinner." He says. 

The man at the gate looks at Aaron with a confused look. 

Aaron nods and says, "It's okay." He turns to us and waves us in, "Come on in, guys." 

Slowly, everyone begins walking in. I exhale slowly through pursed lips and follow, my grip tight on my whip. 

Once we're all inside the gate closes behind us. As soon as I hear it shut, my body is filled with dread and regret for agreeing to come here.

"Before we take this any further," The gate man starts. "I need you all to turn over your weapons." He's got short, curly brown hair and a long face. He's wearing an orange flannel and grey-green cargo pants. 

Fuck that.

Rick begins approaching Aaron so the gateman says, "Stay. You hand them over."

"We don't know if we want to stay." Rick says, matter-of-factly.

My senses are all on high alert. Any bump, trigger pull, scream, cry, anything and I'll know. 

"It's- it's fine, Nicholas," Aaron assures the gateman.

Nicholas. 

My mind immediately goes back to Nick screaming and slapping his mother for calling him Nicholas. Her cries as she tries to get him off of her and help me before he takes his anger out on me almost fully drown out all other noises.

"If we were gonna use them, we would have started yesterday." Rick grunts. 

When Nicholas looks unsure Aaron turns to him. "Let them talk to Deanna first." 

Without wasting a second, Abraham asks the question we were all wondering. 

"Who's Deanna?"

"She knows everything you'd want to know about this place." Aaron answers.

"Rick, why don't you start?" 

Rick doesn't respond, he just turns around and says, "Sasha." 

All of us turn to face the gate, as well as Sasha, and we see a Walker making its way toward us. 

Sasha aims her sniper and headshots the Walker point-blank. 

I smirk, "Badass." I whisper. She just snorts quietly with a straight face in response. 

A curtained gate closes in front of the metal one, blocking us from seeing the road. 

"It's a good thing we're here." Rick quires, walking away with Aaron. 

A little over an hour later, I'm the last being interviewed, of course. I was nervous to enter the house but considering my little sister came out unharmed, I decided to not be a pussy and go inside.