Chapter 124- Metro

It's been almost two weeks since the Whisperer War. Everyone's back in Alexandria, including Maggie and her people. My wounds have healed enough, though the bruises are nasty as hell. Beatrice loves Maggie, though, I'm not so sure how I feel about that. Inejra and Connie still aren't back and I'm starting to see the effects more and more on both Gabriel and Alyssa. As well as Rosita since, technically, Inejra's her stepdaughter. 

Alyssa seems worried all of the time, almost as if she's convinced everyone in this group is gonna die if she turns her back once. She's less energetic and just seems less...Alyssa. I've let her go out and look for Inejra a few times, along with Kelly, but they've come up empty-handed. Gabriel is more irritable since Inejra's been gone, he's a hell of a control freak and extremely protective, just like Alyssa. 

Inejra needs to get her ass back here. 

It's about midnight right now, we're at an abandoned military base for some supplies like food and farming ever since the Whisperers' horde fucking destroyed Alexandria's crops. 

We have to descend by ropes inside the building from the roof because each door is either locked or barricaded. Alyssa and I are helping each other with tying the ropes around our waists, making sure it's tight and secure. The deep black sky makes it a little more difficult but finally, the ropes don't come loose when we tug on them. 

"Alright, let's go." Maggie whispers almost soundlessly. 

Magna, Rosita, Kelly, Maggie, Alyssa, Lydia, and I descend down, achingly slow, making sure not to make any noise.

The garage room we're in is huge, there are old helicopters and abandoned trucks; tool carts, and two offices on opposite sides of the garage room. Not to mention, of course, the Walkers littering the ground. There are maybe two hundred of them, but they're all on the ground, seemingly sleeping. With how many Walkers there are, we basically have to to parkour to get to wherever the hell we're going.

Maggie looks at me and points to a metal door to my right, across the population of Walkers on the ground. I nod and slowly take a step in a gap between two Walkers, cussing silently. Once I get past a few Walkers, it's almost like a trail, their arms distant enough that we can actually walk. 

Once we get to the door, Maggie hands Magna a lock pick to break the padlock on the door. After only a few seconds, the lock pings open, bouncing off of the metal walls. All of us quickly look back at the Walkers to make sure they didn't get up and, thankfully, they didn't. 

I nod to Magna and she slowly and quietly opens the door, allowing Maggie to go in first, then me, then the rest of the group. 

Maggie leads us down a long hallway, slowly pushing open a door to a storage room. In the storage room, there are two sleeping Walkers, which Kelly and Magna kill. Maggie stands at the door to keep watch while I walk down another hallway, checking for anything else. 

The hallway is a yellowish creme color, the carpet on the ground somehow the same color as the walls. It smells like baby powder and a rotting corpse in every inch of this place, annoyingly potent. 

I hear a quiet whistle from a few feet down the hall, causing me to turn. Lydia waves me on, a signal that they got what they need and it's time to send it up. 

When I get out, Maggie and Alyssa are sending the goods up by putting them in burlap sacks and using the ropes to pull them up. The ropes creak quietly, up until one of them snaps and the bag drops. 

With lightning-quick reflexes, Daryl catches it in mid-air, saving us from being torn to goddamn shreds. A drop of blood from his arm from rope burn drops down from where he's standing, landing on a sleeping Walker. My heart stops at the faint sound of the growl, the feeling of adrenaline already pumping through my veins.