Chapter 12- Smile

When we finally arrive at the farm, it's already pitch black outside. I can barely see the farm but from what the car headlights show, it's beautiful. There are acres and acres of green grass. (Well, at least I think it's green.) Horses and cows, beautiful trees. Flowers everywhere that I can't quite see the colors of. And right in the middle of it all is a white farm house. It's the cutest house I've ever seen. White shutters, a porch that wraps around, two stories, cute rocking chairs on the porch. This whole property is gorgeous. 

Glenn pulls the car up and stops it, letting all four of us out. Alyssa immediately begins to try to run to the house but T-dog grabs her with his un-injured arm. 

"Alyssa!" I whisper-yell. "I wanna see Carl!" She whisper-yells back. "We ain't know these people. We have to be careful." I whisper. She groans and stomps to a stop, waiting for Glenn and I to group with T-Dog and her. 

Glenn is carrying a massive shotgun and T-Dog is wrapped in a blanket. "Must you carry that thing?" Alyssa asks Glenn. 

"Uh...yeah. Just in case." Alyssa nods in response. 

We approach the steps to front porch of the old, white, farm house and we all stop and stare at the door. 

"So do we...ring the bell? I mean it looks like people live here." Glenn asks, looking at all of us. 

I scoff, "No shit." I say, under my breath. 

"We're past this kind of stuff aren't we? Having to be considerate." T-Dog says as he walks up the steps to the door. We all follow him. 

"Did you close the gate up the road when you drove in?" The same girl from before asks, sitting in a rocking chair. Alyssa jumps at her words. 

"Uh...hi. Yes, we closed it. Did the...latch and everything." Glenn answers, somewhat awkwardly. 

The girl leans forwards and rests her elbows on her knees. 

"Hello. Nice to see you again." Glenn says. "We-uh-met before...briefly." "Look, we came to help. There anything we can do?" T-Dog asks, wincing loudly at his arm wound. 

The girl gets up and walks over to him, eyeing down his forearm. 

"It's not a bite. I cut myself pretty bad though." 

"We'll have it looked at. I'll tell them you're here." The girl begins walking to the front door. 

"We have some painkillers and antibiotics." Glenn rummages through his backpack. "I already gave him some. If Carl needs any." 

"Come on inside. I'll make you something to eat." She says, opening the door. 

She leads us into the room where Carl is. He's laying in the middle of a white bed and Lori and Rick are on his left side. There's another lady who I don't know sitting against the wall across from the foot of the bed.

Alyssa gasps. "Carl..." She whispers. That makes Lori and Rick look up.  

"Hey." Glenn says, taking his hat off. "Hey." Rick responds. "Um, we're here, okay?" 

Jesus Glenn is quite possibly the most awkward person I've ever met

 Lori thanks him and looks at Alyssa. "You wanna come see him?" She asks her. 

Alyssa looks at me for an answer. I motion for her to go and she nods and walks next to Lori, not able to take her eyes off of Carl. Lori holds Alyssa's hand as a comforting gesture. 

"Whatever you need." T-Dog says, Rick nods. Both T-Dog and Glenn turn and walk out. I don't immediately follow. I just stand there, staring at Carl. 

Do I...care? I thought I hated him. Maybe I just care for Alyssa's sake.