Chapter 40- Kiss

Rick, Daryl, and Merle run up to where we are, killing a few Walkers in the process. Carol runs up to Daryl and quickly gives him a tight hug and scolds him slightly for leaving. 

Beth greets Daryl as well as Glenn, Maggie, and Alyssa. 

After Alyssa hugs Daryl, I storm over to Daryl. He straightens up as he sees me, his gaze never wavers from mine as I can slightly see a hint of remorse in his eyes. 

I slap him across the cheek, "Never, ever say something like that about me again. Or else it's gonna be a hell of a lot worse than just a fucking slap." My voice is like venom, peircing straight into Daryl. 

He doesn't respond, he just stares at me and bites his lip slightly, nodding. 

As my anger subsides, I wrap him in a hug. "Leave again and I'll shove my foot so far up your ass that you'll taste it." His body heat is warm against me as I release a sigh of relief into the crook of his neck. I'm surprised to feel Daryl's arms wrap around my waist, hugging me back. I immediately feel safe, like there's a sort of protective bubble around me. 

I hear Alyssa giggle quietly as Daryl and I hug each other. 

I break the hug and before I can even fully pull away, a small gasp escapes my lips as Daryl cups my face and kisses me; in front of everybody

The world fades into the background as I feel Daryl's lips on mine again- the lips I thought I never wanted to feel again. I feel his stubbly beard scratching my chin and his rough fingers on my cheeks. The hair on the back of my neck stands up as an electric shock shoots up my spine. 

My hands instinctively cup his face as well as we deepen the kiss, the weight of us being away from each other comes to the surface. 

"Damn, Daryl! I never thought someone as sexy as her woul-" I cut Merle off by putting my hand on his face and shoving him away, not breaking the kiss. He cusses me out but I pretend not to hear it.

Daryl is the one to break the kiss, he doesn't look at anyone else but me. "Being away from you made me realize something," His hands are still cupping my face as he tries to find the right words, or the confidence to say the right words. "I love you, Adrian. I have loved you, and I don't ever want to be away from you." A smile tugs at the corners of my lips, "I think..." I look from his eyes to his lips, then back to his eyes. "I can love you." I whisper. Daryl's eyes widen slightly at my words, the weight of Nick becomes present as I silently admit how hard it is for me to love someone.

Alyssa's excited giggle breaks the silence, "Adrian!" She squeals, jumping up and down and clapping her hands. Her words make me realize everyone is staring at us, smiles plastered on their faces. 

Rick raises both of his eyebrows at us, "As much as I love this...confession, we need to get back in the prison before one of us gets shot." 

Everyone agrees and begins to file into the prison, I walk in front of Daryl and Damien practically skips over to me. "I fucking told you so. I literally told you so hard that it basically manifested into being true." I scoff, "Okay, weirdo." "Weirdo?! My best friend and the hottest bitch in this group...minus you and I of course, just admitted their love for each other! Does that mean you're dating?" I shrug, "I don't know but he is literally right behind us to shut the fuck up." Damien smirks and nods, pretending to zip his mouth closed. 

When we get into our cell block, everybody disperses to a different spot. Daryl, Beth, and Carol on top of the stairs. Michonne at a cell, Hershel sitting on the steps, Maggie standing near a wall, and Alyssa and Carl sitting on the floor. Damien and I stand near Maggie.