Chapter 62- Mission

(TW!! Mentions of overdosing!!)

We held a funeral for Bob in the morning, Sasha is finishing his marker now. 

"This is our root to DC." Abraham says, handing a map to Rick. "if not, well, you got our destination. Once Eugene gets to the big brains left up there, things are gonna bounce back. This group should be there for it. You should be there for it." He says to Rick.

"They will be." Maggie assures Abraham. 

"We will" Michonne nods. 

Rick turns to look at Maggie and says, "We will." 

Abraham nods before turning to the bus and saying, "Let's go." 

Everyone except Glenn gets on the bus. I approach Glenn, "Don't get yourself killed, now." 

He chuckles, "Yeah well, I could say the same thing to you." 

I chuckle before hugging him. The farm fades into my brain. I can't believe I stopped talking to him, very few words have been spoken between us in a year because of my mistake. 

"What happened back at that farm?" Glenn whispers, not breaking the hug. 

"You did." I whisper back, my voice cracking ever so slightly. 

He knows exactly what I mean because I can hear him whisper, ever so quietly, "Maggie." 

I sniff and pull back, giving him a tearful closed-mouth smile. "I survived though. I always do." I pause before saying, "We always do." 

He nods with a brief closed-mouth smile before putting a hand on my shoulder and walking into the bus. 

I let out a shaky breath and walk over to the church, standing in line with everyone else. 

"Did you just..." Damien asks, his voice a mere whisper. 

"Yeah. He had to figure out somehow." 

"Holy shit." I whisper in the morning, running up to Daryl and wrapping my arms around him. I cup his face and kiss him before shoving him backward. "Don't ever fucking leave like that again!"

Daryl had come back last night when I was asleep, a kid named Noah was with him. Noah's tall with light brown skin and a long face. 

He doesn't even flinch at the shove, I just pull him back into my arms and allow the relief that I feel to relax my body, his arms tightening around me. 

He takes a deep breath of my scent before exhaling, squeezing ever so tighter. "Next time you run off like that," I break the hug and look at him. "I'm gonna take my whip to your neck." 

His gruff thumb brushes right under my black eye, "Seems like you had a hell of a fight." He rasps. 

I push my lips into a thin line as a smile and nod, "Beat her fuckin' ass." Daryl nods and removes his thumb from my face. 

"Okay," Rick says, walking into the church. "We've gotta protect this place so..." His eyes scan the church for a moment, searching for anything we can use. He points to the organ pipes above the instruments. "Use the organ pipes as protection around the door and use the wood from the pews as boards for the windows. If you can find anything else that could be useful, use it." 

Alyssa tugs on my arm like a little kid as Rick walks out again, I turn and look at her. "Hm?" She's all smiley and giggly. 

She giggles and says, "I saw you blush when Daryl touched your eye." I scoff and shove her lightly. "Oh shut up."