Chapter 77- Exhaustion

(TW!! Mentions of drug addictions!!)

"We have to go!" I yell, trying to run to Alexandria but Glenn grabs my wrist and pulls me back. 

"We can't! It's too dangerous!" 

"They're distracted! My sister is in there!" 

"Maggie is in there! We'll get there but we can't just run inside the walls when half the herd is in there!" Glenn's voice is filled with worry but I know he's thinking rationally.

If we were thinking rationally, we wouldn't be alive right now.

"I'm going!" I yell. I rip my wrist out of Glenn's grasp and grab my pistol, loading it with the ammo I raided off of Annie.

"Damn it, damn it, damn it, damn it!" I yell in anger and fear, my hands beginning to shake with adrenaline as the Walkers begin to disappear behind the walls. 

"Adrian, we have to have a plan!" Glenn yells, standing in front of me. 

"Since when have our plans ever worked?!" 

"We can make a plan to get in there." His words are desperate like he's begging me to stay alive. 

Glenn watches the walls for a moment before saying, "The Walkers are flooding into the east wall. That means that the west wall will be the first to clear up. That's-that's how we get in." 

Him and I begin to walk but when Enid doesn't move, we stop. "Just because the tower's down doesn't mean that-" Glenn huffs and stands in front of Enid, who refuses to look at him. "Listen, people are still alive in there." 

"This is how it happens." She croaks. "And it always happens, Glenn." 

"We're still here. Our friends are in there, people who care about you. My pregnant wife." 

My eyes widen and I quickly look at Glenn. "Holy shit." I whisper. 

"You just wanna run away, be afraid, forget about this? Just go. But that's how you lose people. Even after they're gone." Without waiting for a response, Glenn jogs away. 

I quickly follow after him, not waiting for Enid. 

My heart feels like it's in my throat, my hands sweat nervously, and my fingers tingle. I chew on my bottom lip nervously as I follow quickly after Glenn, the sounds of the Walkers feel like they're in a megaphone. 

I can hear Enid's footsteps catch up to us though neither of us looks back. 

We follow the walls from about twenty feet away and wait for an opening. 

"There." Enid points to an easily climbable tree that's close enough to the walls. 

Fuck, I don't know if I can climb trees with my "foot".

Glenn sees my reaction and he turns to me, "Foot or no foot, Alyssa is in there. You need to stop worrying about that amputation because it doesn't matter. What matters is that you get in there and you go save your sister. Now climb." 

I clench my jaw but without another word, I grab the first tree branch and heave myself up, my fake foot almost coming off. "Damn it." I whisper, stomping to re-adjust the metal foot. 

Once I'm up there, Glenn climbs up after me and Enid follows him. 

Once I'm high enough that all three of us can see inside, we see Maggie on top of the post, Walkers fully surrounding her. But no Alyssa. 

I let out a shaky breath, I can't tell if not seeing Alyssa is a good or bad thing. 

Glenn frantically looks around for something, anything, to help us get inside.