CHAPTER 2

"This song was inspired by a fanfiction," said Melody, sitting next to Jade on the bed. Her enamoured green eyes were fixed on the boys on the stage, six jolly, sweaty boys dressed in outrageous outfits walking down a catwalk on a stage packed with screens displaying flaming images. It seemed ridiculous that Melody had dressed up, in a black dress and high heels, and had even straightened her scarlet red curls just for this television concert. "Zeth said in an interview that he was inspired by a very risqué erotica story he had read. That's why it's so..." she bit her lip, "Naughty."

"S-Sure it is," Jade whispered, also biting her lip.

"Zeth says he's still looking for the author, but the account was deleted as soon as he gave that interview."

"I wonder who wrote such nonsense!" Jade said, feigning a gasp.

Both girls giggled.

The truth that Melody never told, because she was extremely cowardly, was that she had written that fanfiction. It was a rather rough and forbidden one that she still regretted to this day.

But could someone blame her?

They were all handsome, very handsome, inhumanly handsome!

Their personalities were varied and interesting, ranging from innocent, funny, flirty, humble, cocky, and even mysterious. It was always a delight to see them working like cogs in a clock, a perfect team, whether it was on stage, in music videos, or during interviews. Even their varied voices were always harmonious and coordinated, as if they had telepathy. And most importantly, they always reminded their fans how much they loved them with catchy lyrics and rhythmic melodies that required wide vocal ranges.

They were a family, a team, and the fans were always a part of that.

Melody, in particular, was always a part of that.

Her relationship with the band coincided almost perfectly with her darkest hour, to the point where she couldn't possibly imagine what her life would be like if she hadn't been introduced to Monster Mash. Giving herself permission to love a boy band so intensely and obsessively meant also being willing to sacrifice some vague idea of coolness and legitimacy.

Learning to surrender to a melody and open herself up to joy without inhibition or self-criticism taught her who she was.

Monster Mash was a band, but they were also her biggest and most intense emotions.

Oh, and the music was really good too.

At this point, Melody had written about them, about their fans, their music, and fanfics so many times that she had often declared to herself that she had nothing left to say.

But then she wrote that BDSM story...

Maybe writing such a dirty story with herself as the main character was going too far, but it was impossible not to desire those boys.

All of them were sculpted by the finest chisels wielded by artists sent by deities from Mount Olympus.

"Don't you want to marry them one day?" Melody asked, squeezing Jade's hands.

"Melody... They don't even know I exist! And they are older than me! And now you want me to marry them?" Jade asked.

"Well, look at them! Look at Zeth!" Melody was blushing excessively. "Isn't that the kind of man you dream of marrying?"

"Strip now, get my cuffs, and bend down!" Zeth Rahman hit a high note with his raspy voice, sliding one of his hands into his perfectly styled black and golden hair. Jade had grown up listening to rock songs that her father liked, and Zeth definitely sounded as powerful as Skillet's vocalist John Cooper, although Monster Mash's lyrics were definitely not Christian Rock, by a long shot. "I know you love it when I say it like that!" His medium-brown skin glittered like gold under the warm, yellowish LED light that illuminated him in his black sweatpants and black tank top. The first time Jade saw him, she thought the bandages around his hands and forearms were from kickboxing or an injury, but soon understood the monster concept of the group, and everything made sense.