CHAPTER 72

Jade opened her eyes to the sound of voices, distant. Many men talking.

She was lying on a huge bed in an enormous room with ornate furniture and walls painted white. The ceiling was high above and gold inlaid with blue tiles depicting the sun and stars. All she could see was a large chandelier hanging from chains at the centre of the ceiling.

"I'm glad you're awake," Alex said, who was at the foot of the bed next to Draco.

"I think there was a misunderstanding," the vampire said, raising his glass.

"She faints very easily," Everett said to her right, standing imposingly, making her jump in place.

Jade was here, in a hotel room again, just like it all started. Wow, déjà vu!

"I passed out again," she said, lowering her head. "You guys must think I'm pathetic."

The three boys shook their heads.

"We should go back to Zeth and the others," Everett said. "She interrupted meeting."

"Oh! I'm sorry I interrupted," Jade lowered her gaze.

"We couldn't leave you like this," Alex said, sitting down next to her on the bed. "We wanted to make sure you were okay."

"It's just that when I saw Draco drinking blood…" Jade turned a little pale again as she watched the vampire take another sip from his glass.

"We should have explained to you that Draco doesn't drink blood," Alex said.

"But he is a vampire!" Jade protested. She hadn't even noticed that her hand was clutching something soft under the sheets. Her fingers met fur, and she realised it was Everett's vest.

"Bram Stoker took some liberties with story," Everett said. "It's old book that changed people's perspective towards vampires forever."

"Everett, could you leave us alone?" Alex asked, and his giant friend nodded while approaching the door, ducking to avoid hitting the door frame.

With the door open, Jade heard voices talking louder outside.

Men were having a conversation.

Jade couldn't make sense of anything they were talking about, but it sounded important.

"Come on, Draco," Everett said, and the shortest of the boys nodded and followed him out of the room, closing the door behind him.

"What was Draco drinking?" Jade asked, her head throbbing.

"A cherry and chocolate juice, but don't drink it. He says it's delicious, but it tastes horrible," Alex said next to her on the bed. "He drank it because he thought he had to prove something to us but loved it in the end. You know how he gets. He's not always right, but he always comes out triumphant from his nonsense."

"Yeah. Sometimes I think he needs a reality check."

"Yeah, a little," Alex whispered and got up. "You probably want to rest." Alex put a hand on her shoulder, then quickly stepped back when she shivered. "Sorry. Sorry, I shouldn't have touched your shoulder. That was… inappropriate."

"You touched my shoulder, not a boob," Jade said with a giggle, "I did not shiver because of it." Jade rubbed the spot where he had touched her. "It's just that I still feel weird, and I didn't expect you to touch me."

Alex blushed slightly.

She yawned.

"Are you sleepy?" Alex whispered.

"A bit. Passing out doesn't count as beauty sleep," she said, biting her lip and lowering her gaze, "Alex... Do you want to..." she couldn't believe what she was going to ask, "Do you mind if we stay here together? Like tonight, I mean... Cuddle? I don't want to sleep alone with the visitors out there or with Evangeline looking at me like I am a criminal."

"Oh. Yeah, sure, okay. But as soon as you fall asleep, I'm going to have to go because I have an important meeting. But I'll lock the door," Alex said quickly, clearing his throat.

"Alright," she said and patted next to her, "I guess I'll have to wait until the visitors leave before I tell you guys what I came to say."

"I don't think they'll stay for long," Alex said, climbing onto the bed next to her, "Hey... This... It's not weird, right?"

She shook her head, trying not to blush.

"Not at all," she grinned. She leaned over and hugged him, "Thank you."

Alex hugged her back loosely, his ears turning red.

"You're welcome," he said, smiling awkwardly.

"Alex..." she put a hand on his arm, "Can you... Hug me tighter?"

His cheeks went red. He hesitated for a second before nodding and holding her closer, squeezing her tight. She closed her eyes against his firm pecs.

This was good. She felt safe. And comfortable. And warm.

Her heartbeat slowed down.

They stayed like that, curled up on the bed, holding each other.

Alex pressed her close as if afraid to let go. He smelled like cinnamon tea and pine, like home.

But there was also something else...

"Alex?"

"You can feel it, right?" He laughed nervously.

"Did you get hard?"

"I just like you a lot, Jade," he whispered, biting his lip, "Too much."

She looked into his eyes and saw desire in them.

And then lust coursed through Jade's veins at having Alex’s beautiful face and full lips close to her.