CHAPTER 60

"Tell me we still have dancers," Draco whispered as Frank and Finn entered the Solar.

"Hey, Zeth! Frank and I wanted to ask where the keys are..." But Finn fell silent as he saw the long faces. "What's going on here?"

"We don't have dancers or a show," Zeth said, lowering his arms. There was nothing left to talk about. "I should have made sure we wouldn't need the dancers before sending them home. And I shouldn't have taken for granted that we'd have the cheerleaders and strippers on our side," Zeth sighed, "I made the same mistake as King Zehtt Greak."

"Did King Zehtt use dancers?" Alex asked and Zeth shook his head.

"No,” Draco explained, “But he assumed his mother’s dragon, Kizerya, was chained when Prince Ptahrek ‘The Wise’ Rahman led a rebellion along the vengeful Franco Rubinstein. Ptahrek had two dragons on his side, his own mount Ptahx and his sister’s mount Lizekhmex, so when Zehtt decided to go to the Bent Pyramid for Kizerya, he realised that she had been stolen by his sixth wife: Queen Nephty ‘The Martyr’ Rahman.”

"We're screwed.” Zeth clenched his fists, “Why?! Why do these things happen to flawless, selfless people like me?! WHY?!"

Draco and Alex looked at each other with sad eyes, and the wolf soon welcomed the vampire into his arms, both heads down.

Finn's shoulders slumped as he watched Zeth put his back against the wall and slide down, covering his face.

Everett just looked down, clenching his fists and huffing.

"It's the end," Draco said against Alex's chest.

"They are going to humiliate us," Alex whispered. "Esa puta banda de niños fifí... They are going to humiliate us!"

"We should have quit!" Finn exclaimed.

"We should have given them atomic wedgies," Everett closed his eyes. "My heart aches."

"Everything is ruined and it was my fault," Zeth whispered. “The Sad Wedding of Princess Nephty ‘The Martyr’ Rahman to King Zehtt Greak cannot compare to this moment. We are done, defeated. They have won. Sorry, guys. I have failed you."

"Sounds to me like these guys are as tricky as Zer Treevor ‘The Rotten Apple’ Nosferatt," Draco said, "They impaled our horse instead of us."

"It is impossible to fix this mess, even for me," Zeth said.

"Nothing is impossible, that's what you told me when you told me the story of King Ptahrek and his dragon egg,” Said Frank, “You told me he picked a dragon egg that could never hatch until he asked nicely.”

“Ptahx, The Unhatchable Dragon, was born then.” Nodded Zeth, "But Frank, you must understand that there are times when giving up is the best option."

There was a long, awkward silence for a couple of minutes.

"This is not going to end like this!" Frank said, puffing out his chest, and everyone turned to look at him. "We never give up! There is always a ray of sunlight in the darkness!"

"There is no way that they won't be laughing at us," Zeth muttered, pulling strands of his hair.

"I just hope that the Mashers are faithful to us," Finn mumbled under his breath before shaking his head. "What the hell is our next move?"

"Our next move is to give it our all on stage!" Frank said, walking to the centre of the Solar. "Guys, we are not a spectacular show and dancers! We are Monster Mash! We are friends having a good time on stage, spreading our positive energy! We are the encouragement that thousands of girls and boys and single mothers with adolescent children need! We are their heroes!" He turned around and threw his fist in the air. "And now we must find a way to beat those idiots into the ground!"

Zeth let out an exasperated noise.

"But what if the judges hate us?" he asked.

"Who cares about the judges?!" Frank lowered his eyebrows. "Our fans are the ones who matter! Our music! Our authenticity! We know how to dance and sing, but above all, we know how to be a team! We are a family, a little dysfunctional at times but a family," His fist was clenched so tightly that his knuckles turned white. "The audience loves us for who we are. If the judges cannot see our magic, why should we care about their opinions?"

"Fans enjoy spending time with us even from distance," Everett said. "They love our music and naughty dancing, but they're here because of us."

"Every time we forget the lyrics, they sing for us during concerts," Finn said, stepping forward. "When Draco cried onstage, the fans sang his part. And they did it while we group hugged our beloved Animaniac, and there were a lot of fans crying too."

"And what about the times we get the lyrics or dance moves wrong?" Alex asked, patting Draco’s head. "They laugh with us!"

"That's unprofessional of us," Zeth commented, but Draco pulled away from Alex and shook his head.

"No, Zeth. That is what makes us like them. Humans," Draco looked up at Alex with loving eyes. "That makes us a part of their lives."

"Zeth, you and Draco gave me a chance," Frank said, holding out his hand to help his leader up. "Now it's my turn to remind you why we are who we are today. We have the talent, we almost have telepathy by now, and we have each other. What else do we need?"

"Thanks, buddy." Zeth smiled softly, taking Frank's hand.

"No problem." Frank gave a big thumbs up after letting go of Zeth's hand. "Now, let's work hard and make a damn good show for our fans!"

Everett clapped his hands.

"You were so inspirational," Everett wiped a tear from his eye. "Now I'm ashamed of being weak and sentimental like you guys."

"Frank's right," Zeth said, placing a hand in front of himself. "We don't need dancers or a fancy show, we just need to be ourselves, so put your hands on mine and let's do some magic!"

The hands of Frank, Alex, Draco, Finn, and Everett landed on top of each other, and with a merry cheer, they all lifted into the air, saying in unison...

"We are Monster Mash!"