CHAPTER 23

"Hey! What's going on down there?" Zeth talked on the phone as he and Draco entered the castle. "What's that? And where did that band come from? Cadence's son is the lead singer? It just can't be! I'm going downstairs!" And then he hung up, running down the stairs faster than Draco. "Hey! Animaniac! A new band..."

"Yeah, I heard you!" said Draco, descending quickly and agilely in his gothic boots.

"Then run!"

"I'm going to break my foot or sprain my ankle!"

"It's going to heal itself! And weren't you the one who wanted to jump from the bell tower?!" Zeth yelled and yanked Draco's arm. The vampire had to hold on to the black railing to avoid falling face first. "Be a good friend and run!"

"I hate being your friend!" Draco yelled behind him.

Zeth immediately opened the main door when they arrived at the Great Hall, stepping out into the chaotic scene.

Everything was wrong, everyone was shouting, pushing each other, the Mashers were fighting against a group of fans of this new band. It was staff against staff, and there was only one man, panicked and paralyzed, standing like an idiot, observing and doing nothing.

"Frank! What's wrong!? What happened?" Draco yelled.

"Chaos!" Frank was sweating profusely. He stood at the bottom of the stone steps, looking from side to side with his head in his hands and his eyes wide, "Zeth, I tried to calm them down but they all went crazy!"

To the right, Alex was roaring and leaping like a wolf at the staff members of the other band while Finn tried and failed to reason with him.

To the left, Everett threw the guy in the suit to knock down staff members as if they were bowling pins.

"If this disaster continues, what happened to King Anuber when he made bad decisions during the Clash of the Rahmans will happen to us." Zeth said.

"We're going to have a lot of angry people at the door," Draco said, "Well... This doesn't compare to the executions of Zer Caccino Coffybean, Zer Cleric Wynegrape, Tom O’Pry and Elyas Alfaro though.”

"But the consequences will be the same... A bad image that will cost us our empire," Zeth said, "Who had the bright idea to use violence instead of words, Frank?"

"Everett and Alex," Frank replied and Zeth face palmed.

"Their idiocy compares to that of Treevor Nosferatt," Zeth whispered, "Remove Orlog Nosferatt from the office of Great Adviser and his son will send the nine kingdoms to hell."

"Why do you always seem to speak in code? I don't understand anything!" Frank shouted, and then a reporter van opened, with a woman holding a microphone and a cameraman following her.

"Frank! The reporters are going to transmit live!" Draco said, and Zeth pointed a finger at his friend's bionic arm.

"Electromagnetic pulse, now!" Zeth ordered.

"I'm not a Pokémon!" Frank yelled, raising his bionic arm, which hissed and buzzed. Frank's hand split in two, revealing an electric blue-green interior, like a sphere of pure energy. The metal plates on his forearm split and formed a cylinder around his wrist. Clattering, it finally took shape and his limb became a whirring cannon. "Hey, Zeth! If I do this, we will ruin our equipment and all the mobile phones around too! Even the cars!"

"Better than ruining our image!" Zeth yelled.

"And can't you use one of your magic tricks, Zeth?" Frank asked, and Zeth lowered his head and nodded.

"I usually only use my powers on one person," Zeth took a long breath, "But I've done this before and on a larger scale. I can do it! I'm the best! I'm handsome! I'm fucking Zeth Rahman!"

“Frank, you have no idea what will happen if he does that," Draco said but Zeth put his hand on his shoulder.

"It's worth a try, old friend," Zeth sighed and jogged in his place, moving his head sideways, making his neck crack, "I hope I don't release a plague by accident," Zeth held up a hand, and his eyes turned bright golden.

The wind blew hard, creating a resounding natural roar that made everyone look up at the sky. The smell of sand grew stronger. An immense and warm darkness transformed the sky from grey to a deep orange and yellow, causing everything to glow in a gentle fiery hue.

Emerging from behind the castle, a storm of golden sand loomed like a beast from a Lovecraftian novel. It had no legs but moved towards them at an incredible speed. The wind intensified as the sandstorm approached. People screamed and ran, while others simply observed, too afraid to move.

Like an evil cloak, the dense cloud of sand covered everything with its dark shadow. No one could see where the sand had come from or what the cloud was about to do next, yet it grew louder in its anger. The noise was deafening, causing people to lose control over their bodies and souls.

The golden sand covered the entire car park, the school, the surrounding suburbs, and with a snap of Zeth’s fingers, the chaos stopped.

When the sand faded into nothingness, and Draco and Frank uncovered their eyes, people were standing like zombies, motionless and expressionless, including Everett, Finn, and Alex.

"Their memories... I will wipe them in a second," said Zeth, whose eyes returned to their typical sapphire blue. The boy fell onto his knees, rubbing his temples. "God! My head!"

"What did you do to them!?" Frank asked, and Zeth, who could barely stand up, took a step back, raising an eyebrow and crossing his arms.

"I put a curse on them to force them to obey me," he explained, holding his head, and a few of the humans moved again, walking slowly towards the castle. Their movements weren't fluid, and they were very stiff and slow, as if they were robots. "As I told you, this is the best way to deal with journalists. But at least there will be no more talking about anything important.”

“That's called oppression," Frank complained.

"And it was your idea so shut up Frank!" Draco looked very angry.

“You want the world to know about what's happening?" Zeth asked, grunting, his head ached like brainfreeze.

"I just hope it doesn't rain frogs like when you ended the trench warfare during World War I," Draco said, rubbing his eyes. There was still sand in them, "At least now they can't exile us for disobeying the Queen... Or for killing her."

"Shut up, we don’t talk about Bruno," Zeth said, raising both hands, "Now let's see what we can do," Zeth tumbled a little until Draco caught him.

"Zeth, go rest," Draco said. "Last time you did this, you were in a coma for a month."

"I'm fine," Zeth whispered, his eyes golden again. "Now listen up, people not as beautiful as me!” His raspy voice rang like an evil echo over the entire place, "Erase all evidence from your devices. I want you all to forget everything and... And..."

"Fuck!" Draco and Frank barely managed to catch Zeth, who fell unconscious into their arms.

“What do we do now? We don't know how to do anything without Zeth! He's the one who makes the hard decisions!" Frank was even more nervous than before, but Draco, with a determined look for the first time in ages, answered.

"We'll figure this out and make Zeth proud when he wakes up."