CHAPTER 5

It had been a long night, an amazing concert broadcasted to the whole world live. The adrenaline had suddenly dropped, but the ringing in the ears still hadn't completely disappeared.

Frank's emotions regarding the end of Monster Mash's tour were overwhelming him. He and Draco had a little cry because it was such a journey they had been on. That night, in general, was so poignant. As much as he had tried to prepare himself, it was a whole other thing when the concert ended.

While Zeth assured him that the much-deserved break would be welcome to make new music and shoot new videos, such was not the case for Frank. He was used to working however many days, and the fact of having to return home would make it all the more evident that he was not doing something as fun as performing.

Sitting in the living room of a huge suite in Zeth’s five stars hotel after traveling in a black Suburban for two hours to get here, Frank was checking the status of his charity page when a notification about a critic and vocal coach popped up.

He had subscribed to that woman’s blog, eager to know what she thought of them as a band, and finally, after  a long wait, she had written about them.

"What is this?" Frank asked, looking at his tablet closely. "Oh my Sparks! Guys!" He jumped to his feet. Zeth and Alycandro, both sitting on the white couch next to him, looked up.

"Are you okay, Frank?" Finn asked, leaning against the kitchen counter of this small, white-walled suite, drinking his third bottle of water.

"A woman wrote an article about us!" Frank said, and the other three shrugged. "But not just any woman... Cadence O'Pry!"

"The demanding vocal coach and wife of Tom O'Pry of Phantom Records?" Alycandro asked, standing up. "Fuck! I don't like this!"

"I don't care what Cadence has to say," Zeth said, checking his nails, "Call it a... High school grudge."

"I'll go get Draco!" Frank handed the tablet to Alycandro, who took a quick look as his friend ran to the balcony. "Draco! Draco, where are you? A woman... What are you doing hanging upside down? Get down from there! You are going to get hurt!"

"Don't be surprised, Frank!" Zeth yelled from the couch. "Bats like being upside down!"

"I wonder if Draco ever fell and that's why he got this crazy," Finn said in a low voice.

"I'm sure Draco fell as a child, or perhaps he was born with coffee instead of blood in his veins," Zeth chuckled, snapping his fingers at Alycandro. "Bro, what does it say?"

"I'm reading, shut the fuck up!" Alycandro yelled, reading slower than he should...

Monster Mash: Talented and Innovative, or Well-Targeted Marketing?

By Cadence O'Pry

In the tradition of earlier boy bands, Monster Mash was promoted as a set of young idols who were musically compatible but also distinct in style and personality.

They started as a duo (Zeth Rahman/Draco Von Stroker) in 2017, singing covers of popular songs to raise money for a friend who was in critical condition after an accident. Their goodwill soon made it to the news across the country, hence their sudden rise to fame, and in 2019, they finally added more members to become a boy band and entered the recording studio to create their own music.

The resulting album was released in October 2020 and was named Just For Freaks.

Filled with cheerfully harmonized songs about carefree revelry, first-time heartbreak, and other adolescent concerns, it was an immediate hit both at home and in other countries. Their popularity was fuelled in part by the song ‘My Beautiful Freak’ that didn't stop playing wherever you went, and the song ‘Meat Puppet’ which was chosen to be the main theme of the Marvel series Wandavision.

In 2021, the group began a national tour in theatres and auditoriums and released their second album, and by 2022, the boys finally started a world tour in stadiums and arenas.

Recently, they have released the first single of their third album, the catchy song ‘Call me your Monster’ which has had an impact for being the hardest vocal challenge of the group to date.

It seems that the boys have won the hearts of thousands of fans (Who call themselves Mashers) all over the world overnight and through effort...

But are they really talented?

Well, first, we have to make it clear who is who in this popular boy band.

We have expressionless Everett Frostakov, who has an operatic vocal range of 3 octaves and 1 semitone (E2-F5).

Next, we have grumpy Alycandro Alfaro, whose vocal range made more for regional Mexican songs than for teen-oriented music is 2 octaves and 2 semitones (G2-A4).

Then we have arrogant Zeth Rahman, who has a rockstar vocal range of 2 octaves and 9 semitones (F2-D5).

Then we have forgettable Finn Seamons, whose vocal range designed for alternative rock is 3 octaves and 7 semitones (F2-C6).

We also have clumsy Frank Rubinstein, who has a pop-music vocal range of 2 octaves and 6 semitones (A2-Eb5).

And finally, we have obnoxious Draco Von Stroker, whose malleable and adaptable vocal range is 3 octaves (B2-B5).

But are they really talented?

Or are they just another product of successful marketing?