CHAPTER 42

Finn didn’t know much about Kevin, but at least he knew what it was like to be invisible and treated differently.

"In Hawaii, I was somebody. Girls would stare at me in love while I patrolled the beach or rushed into action to save someone. There were even women pretending to be drowning, you know. Sometimes you have to give mouth-to-mouth resuscitation."

"But you came to Hollow Woods, the city where the monsters live, to be a part of Monster Mash," Kevin said and looked down, still smiling.

“I did, I guess. Did you already live here?"

"Since I was little," Kevin nodded, "I've heard there are more monsters here, hiding, but Mum and I lived with my dad near here. Mum and I still live there, but my dad always beat her. He was a bad man, but one time he left her so hurt that I thought 'this won't stop until she dies' and I made a drastic decision. Now it's just mum and me." He sighed, holding back his tears, "But I'm very scared, you know? Because I know, very soon, it will just be me. I'm not with Anton just because of my dream. I'm with him because of the pay, but I would have liked to be in Monster Mash."

"And you also went to the audition?" Finn tried to change the subject when he saw that Kevin was about to cry.

"Yeah, I did, but I couldn't make it. I didn't achieve my dream of being a part of Monster Mash. You get used to it, you know? To be the failure, the one who will never achieve anything, the one who strives and gives everything of himself to receive nothing in return. I've worked since I was little, and here I once had a relatively well-paying job, but although the stage of this club is my home, my happy place, my dream was always to sing and not get naked for money.”

"What if I told you that now you can be a part of Monster Mash?" Finn asked, and Kevin looked up hopefully.

"Do you want me to join you?"

"I want you to replace me," Finn said, looking straight into Kevin's grey eyes. "I'll leave the band."

Kevin's eyebrows furrowed. He shook his head.

"No, I can't. If I joined, it'd be like I was taking your spot, and that's not what I want!"

"I must leave, Kevin," Finn stood up. "I have to find my true self. I don't belong here. I don't belong anywhere either because I don't even know where to look for a new line of work."

"Zeth rejected me for a reason and chose you for a reason. Maybe it wasn't because of your voice, maybe it was because of something else."

"Like what?" Finn asked, not wanting to hear it. "Just accept my offer, replace me, and live your dream, the one I stole from you."

"Well... Let's just say I wouldn't feel comfortable replacing you," Kevin stood up and walked towards Finn. "But if things work out, I'd definitely consider being a part of the group, but only if you also stay."

Finn sighed loudly, shaking his head and rolling his eyes. He couldn't stand to waste any more time with this idiot.

"I thought you'd take the offer."

"Oh! Sure, I'll take it," Kevin said, crossing his arms. "But I'm going to work hard for it, not take your place."

"Don't waste your energy," Finn said, turning away from Kevin... Someone was watching him. "Oh no! Since when have you been standing there?"

Everett, expressionless as always, pointed back.

"It's time for show," said the giant. "I heard everything, and I think you're stupid."

"That's what I was trying to tell you," Kevin said, and Everett looked him up and down.

"You have heart of Baby Yeti," Everett told Kevin, "But you're enemy."

"I'm not," Kevin shook his head. "I'm just an idiot with a dream."

The giant rolled his eyes.

"Whatever. You're not joining us," Everett replied.

Finn didn't know if he should be glad or upset. On one hand, he would be glad if Kevin replaced him. On the other hand, it meant he would have to start from scratch or perhaps go back to Hawaii.

"I suspect you were sent to spy on us, Visbal," Everett said without filter, as usual.

"You should be more concerned that one of your friends wants to leave the band than worry about me," Kevin said, making Finn nod.

"If Finn wants to leave, he can. No one keeps him here against his will." Zeth's voice behind Everett made the giant move aside a bit. Zeth was looking at Kevin with doubtful eyes. "No one is in Monster Mash against their will. If you feel uncomfortable, you can leave." Zeth eyed Finn. "You're our friend, Finn. And you are the one I trust the most to do a good job, but you also have emotions and feelings. I am not going to stop you if you want to leave... I only ask that, for tonight, you act professionally and shoot the video with us. After that, you are free to make your decision."

"They probably sent this guy to talk Finn out of the band," Everett took two steps toward Kevin, snarling and bumping a fist into a hand. "I'll rip his bones out of his body then."

"Everett, stop it," Zeth held up a hand, and Kevin, who was already cringing and walking backwards, sighed. "Sorry to say this, but I'm not convinced that this Anton guy is actually our competition. Evie and her friend investigated Sixth Octave, each and every one of you, none of you except for Mort has ever sung ‘professionally’ or at all.”

"Anton's mother warned us that you had several Hunters on your side, Zeth," Kevin gulped, "But that one girl, in particular, is quite the high risk."

"She was one of the best, if not the best, and knows everything about you," Zeth nodded, “You were in jail for a while, weren't you Kevin? For murder."

Finn gasped and turned to look at Visbal with terrified eyes.

"The charges were dropped because it was to defend my mother," Kevin nodded, "But I'm not going to deny it. Yes, I was in prison."

"That's what Evie told me," Zeth cocked his head, "Pre-trial detention. I know everything, about your mother’s illness, your multiple jobs, your loyalty. You don't seem like the kind of person who betrays the people he loves, but Sixth Octave will give you what you need to save who you love, and I think you may be a risk to us because of that."

"And Anton and his mother are quite a risk for you," Kevin said, "My band has a great marketing team and contacts, they are ready to take you down. Anton practically hates you and Draco for breaking his mum's heart," Kevin looked at the three boys with anguished eyes. "I admire you guys, so I'm worried that you'll attract the wrong attention."

"Is Anton planning something to sabotage us tomorrow?" Zeth asked. "And don't lie to me, boy. I have lived more lifetimes than you or anyone in this place except for Draco. I know a lie when I hear one."

"He wants his mum to say you can't sing. That's all I know," Kevin said, and Zeth nodded.

"We're prepared for that," Everett said. "We deal with criticism well, or deal with it with Death Match." But Everett lowered his eyebrows a little when he saw Zeth clench his fists. "We're ready for anything, right Zeth?"

"We will be. But we don't have anything, and we won't have it for hours or days. And it will be worse if there are only five of us," Zeth turned to Finn, who was still unsure whether to stay or quit. "You must tell me now... After tonight, are you staying or leaving? There will be no hard feelings."

Finn frowned and looked around, searching for a way out, but there was none. He could run and jump through the window, but then again, they'd chase after him and drag him back to get an answer.