CHAPTER 65

When Evangeline told Jade that they had the opportunity to attend a live transmission of The Idol Academy, she felt like bursting out screaming.

What had the guys gotten her into?!

Looking at the ticket, there was a long list of clothing requirements which ultimately ended in being told to dress 'formally' like they were attending a nice restaurant or club. The ticket also said that if they didn't, they would be denied entry. Needless to say, Jade made sure she looked slick.

Despite always championing the darkness in her, Jade decided to wear some expensive makeup that Zeth had left for her in one of the bags. Said makeup wasn't going to stay there at the bottom of the bag without anyone wearing it, was it?

A cat-eye liner, golden lipstick and eyeshadow, a little blush, and she was ready to go out in her black diamond dress, golden jacket, and golden heeled booties.

She even made sure that her hair looked fluffy, and the shampoo Zeth used and the treatment Laska gave her the day before did wonders because every strand looked silky smooth.

Zeth had also bought gold rings, and as always, she made sure to wear as many as she could.

After two hours of driving in silence, Evangeline parked at a large mall of Sydland.

The heat of this beach city was overwhelming.

Evangeline offered to take Jade out to eat at a fancy restaurant, and the yakimeshi, kushiages and sushi rolls were the best thing Jade had ever tasted.

Jade was hesitant at first to order, but Evie told her that Frank had left enough money for them to eat whatever they wanted.

The meal was silent, and before Jade knew it, she was back in Evangeline's dark blue Camaro.

Arriving at her destination, Jade became nervous as she saw the long line outside the huge glass building.

They stood in line for a good hour in the blazing heat, but once they got in, Jade and Evangeline sat there for a really long time, listening to the guy the show hired to keep the audience interested.

They waited a long time.

People who came in significantly later than them got better seats because fate was on their side when tickets were being randomly handed out.

According to Evie, Everett had gotten these tickets because a woman owed him a favour after leaving her radiant for her wedding years ago and for sculpting a huge ice statue of her with her fiancé hugging each other surrounded by doves, swans, and heart-shaped branches around them.

When the judges finally walked in, the audience cheered for many minutes.

It was exhilarating, to say the least, and the judges said they were the best crowd yet, which they probably told everyone.

It was then announced that the guest judges, the O'Prys, would only be present during the final act.

Right after the judges sat down, the show started. Jade was very pleased but wasn't ready for how long they actually spent on each performance.

The judges' critiques and banter were almost exactly as they appeared on television.

For three hours, Jade and Evangeline only got to see about ten people sing. It went even slower because the judges took long breaks every hour while the audience was told it would only take a minute.

It went really slow, and many people mentioned they wanted to leave before it ended, but the vast majority said they were just waiting to see Monster Mash, and Jade felt like a proud mother.

The audience was getting restless near the middle, and almost everyone was only a shell of how excited they were in the beginning.

Finally, the host asked the participants to form a line on the stage.

"The winner of today's Idol Academy immunity is… Richard!" Applause erupted from the audience, and it was so deafening it hurt. "But before meeting the participant who will be eliminated tonight... We're going to a commercial break!" The entire audience booed, and Jade guessed that wasn't good for live TV.

After twenty minutes, the host spoke again.

"Please welcome Tom and Cadence O'Pry!"

The judges stood up and thanked the audience, then sat down in reserved front-row seats for the O'Prys to take their places.

Everyone cheered at the sight of paunchy and nearly bald Tom O'Pry and his gorgeous wife, Cadence. They were both dressed nicely, though in different styles, with Cadence sporting her hair done up into an elaborate knot in the back. Cadence's dress was black and red with tiny roses decorating the top. Cadence wore thin red heels to accentuate her legs. She had a matching clutch and red lipstick that matched her hair perfectly.

"And now, the show everyone's been waiting for!" The lights danced, and Jade felt her nerves kick in, too nervous about her boys.

"Excuse me, I have to go for a second," Evie whispered in Jade's ear and stood up, leaving her alone here. What was this girl's problem?! Did she not care to see the boys at their most important moment?! Well good! Jade wouldn't let her ruin her night anyway.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to the stage... Sixth Octave and Monster Mash!"

The audience exploded, and Jade's heart pounded against her chest.

This was really happening.

She was finally going to see her boys sing live and in the flesh for the first time...

How terrifying!

The music started playing, and the audience roared.

Those were the first beats of 'Call Me Your Monster,' and that made her even more nervous.

Jade trembled as everyone began screaming louder, like maniacs.