CHAPTER 24

"Can you stay with Zeth here?" Frank asked, placing an unconscious Zeth in a bunk. The tour bus was spacious. It had a small diner-style cabinet, a refrigerator, four sleeping bunks, and the walls were purple with orange decorations. It was so big that it looked more like a trailer and so complete that it seemed like an apartment on wheels.

"You're saying there was conflict out there, and that's why he ended up unconscious?" Jade asked, biting the sleeve of her purple jacket. She looked out the window but saw nothing but people chatting friendly. Among them was Draco, who was chatting with a guy in a suit and tie, along with staff who carried reflectors and cameras from here to there.

She knew the man in the suit. That was the Dean Maddox Hill, who kept lowering his head, apparently apologising.

"I didn't hear anything." Jade said.

"Yeah, that's why Zeth ended up like this," Frank rose up, and Jade turned to look at him, biting her lip. There was something she liked about him, perhaps his scent, perhaps his nobility. It seemed like something emotional that intensified with his perfect body, but she didn't exactly know what made her so attracted to him. Maybe it was his smile or his sweet mismatching eyes, or maybe it was his handsome face and a beautiful personality.

"Everyone out there looks calm," Jade said, avoiding Frank's soft gaze, "But why are the rival band members still here?"

"Zeth couldn't control them to leave, I guess," Frank said, and Jade raised an eyebrow, "He fell unconscious after making everyone forget."

"I have no idea what you're saying but I hope he wakes up soon," Jade lowered her arms, which hung like noodles.

"Don't slouch, it makes you look lazy," Frank said, taking a step toward her, placing his hands on her shoulders to push them back, "Stand up straight. That's what Zeth always told me when my limbs hung like spaghetti long before I became a cyborg."

"Sure," Jade nodded, looking up and straight into Frank's eyes, which were full of affectionate fondness for her. She felt like she was being drowned in those eyes, and she wasn't sure why. It just felt good to be cared for.

The bus door opened, and heavy footsteps, due to gothic boots, approached the back where Jade and Frank stood.

"Alex, Finn, and Everett don't remember anything," Draco said, texting someone. His phone had a red casing with black bat wings. "I asked Egor to talk to the manager of the other band, and it turns out that, just like our band, the manager is the leader, but the producer is the father of said leader unlike us. They want to meet with our manager but…" Draco sighed, turning to see Zeth lying on Frank’s green bunk. "He's asleep."

"I don't understand," Jade said and bit down on the sleeve of her jacket again. "Why do they want to talk to Zeth?"

"Zeth is our manager, producer, public relations, human resources, creative head, marketing head, director, costume designer, and bandmate," Frank replied, taking a long breath after saying the entire list like a nun praying to defeat a demon. "He pretty much does everything. He has people to help him, and Egor, but he's the brains of our group."

"I asked Egor to summon the rivals to the cafeteria, so come on, Frank," Draco said, turning to Jade. "If Zeth wakes up, tell him to come to the cafeteria."

"Understood," Jade nodded.

As Frank and Draco left, she stood by the bunk where Zeth was, watching him closely. His features were perfect. She even ran a finger along the contour of his round shoulder to the prominent vein on his bicep, tracing it carefully as if the touch would make Zeth wake up. She knew that Zeth was one of the best men she had ever met, and if she were honest with herself, she was afraid of losing him.

It was incredible to think that fate had brought her to this boy.

What could she have done to deserve such a handsome friend with such a powerful aura?

Yet, the word ‘friend’ echoed in her head, because she knew that they would never be anything more than that, if they were already.

She wasn't good enough, and she knew this all too well.

And the fact that Zeth turned out to be so smart and capable of running the business only made her think of what an impressive man he was.

She couldn't bear it.

No matter how perfect Zeth was, she still couldn't be with him because she was a failure, because she didn't live up to a man like that.

She couldn't hide the fact that she was a failure.

Zeth was unconscious, and she was here, just looking at him helplessly, as if she could save him by just staring.

"I'm not sure if you're listening," Jade whispered, stroking Zeth's perfect hair. "But I wanted to tell you... I've always loved you from a distance, and then I met you and you disappointed me. But now I understand your actions, and you are..." She hesitated for a moment. "The greatest example of a human being I've ever met, and you're not even human. You really care about the people you love, about helping people in general, and it's very noble and admirable." She smiled and leaned against the bunk. "It must be so wonderful, having that kind of feeling for someone... I have my mom in LA and my step-dad here, but they are family. But what you have with your friends is unique, a family that you chose, and I never wanted to be a bother."

A few minutes passed, and she hoped to hear him wake up or say something at some point, but Zeth just didn't open his eyes.

She wondered if he was even breathing...

She wanted to take away his pain and suffering...

But was he suffering?

He had a slight smile on his face now.

Jesus Christ!

Maybe he was listening to her!

Then she thought about fairy tales, about the kiss that woke up the princess, and how the roles had been reversed.

No.

No, no, no, she was not going to do that.

This wasn't the time, it wasn't the right moment.

It would never be the time.

But true love's kiss would wake anpyone up, and she wished that were true.

She could kiss him, and it wouldn't affect anything else. He would be fine with her if he woke up, right?

Perhaps a kiss would wake the prince, and perhaps that would lead to a wedding.

She could go home, tell her parents he was with her, and that she would be safe in his arms, his well-toned arms.

And she squirmed at the thought.

She could live life happily by his side.

It was fun to imagine herself with Zeth, but what could that do to his career? He had already worked hard for it.

She would be an obstacle.

But her mother would be thrilled, of course! Her mother would probably buy her the biggest gift she had ever seen, and she would hug her tight.

"Look at me, I'm so selfish," she told Zeth. "You're unconscious, and I'm here imagining that I'm with you... Maybe you can hear me, maybe you can't, but... Of all your friends, it's you who has always driven me crazy, for better and for worse." And suddenly, the tears came, falling from her eyes, and she quickly wiped her cheeks with the back of her hand. "I'm a fool for crying, I know. But I feel helpless for not being able to help you, Zeth. I'm a nuisance, useless and... And I've been obsessed with you for eighteen days, and now you're here and I... I just want you to wake up."