CHAPTER 50

"I texted Kevin. He says his stripper friends can help us with the show tomorrow, for a modest price of course," Zeth said, checking his phone.

"How did you get Kevin's number?" Finn asked as Zeth put the phone away.

"Evie," Zeth rubbed his hands together. "Now all that's left is the cheerleading show."

"Why not bring our dancers?" Finn cocked his head.

"It's easier to take people FROM Hollow Woods to the studios IN Sydland than to bring all our dancers back from different parts of the world, don't you think?" Zeth winked. "Also, the girls at school won the nationals last year. They are good cheerleaders. It will be easier for the six of us to adapt to the pre-made shows of the cheerleaders and strippers and just learn their routines than to prepare a show from scratch."

"Zeth," Finn said, "This whole idea is ridiculous"

"It's not, we just have to memorize..."

"The polyamorous idea," Finn corrected, "It is ridiculous, let alone something as serious as being together could destabilize our band."

"Or make us get closer," Zeth winked. "Come on, Finn, Jade already accepted that it could work."

Jade grumbled. She hadn't accepted it as such, but the idea of sharing a relationship with Finn... She felt conflicted. On one hand, it was a good thing that they were so open-minded. But on the other hand, was it right for her, as an inexperienced girl? Would she ever be enough?

The question nagged at her.

And the more she thought about it, the more she realised that she was not ready to answer it yet. She needed time and space to consider it. She had time, but maybe she didn't have space. Maybe she was too young to decide whether it was okay or not.

Maybe it would be better to wait until her emotions grew more mature before she decided if she was willing to risk everything for something that was almost certainly going to blow up in her face one day, or if she was willing to risk something else entirely and throw caution to the wind.

Or maybe the question was too difficult to answer.

"Are you in love with me, Zeth?" Finn asked, but his friend shook his head.

"No, but I don't see why that would be a problem."

"I don't want you with me just for the sake of it," Finn said, his voice softening. "Even if I wanted it, I'd never ask. If we become something, I want it to be because there is love and not an obligation."

"The choice is yours, Finn," Zeth grinned. "And I expected you would say that. Don't get me wrong, if you want to, we can try, but only if you want."

"The one who can't try is me," Jade stood straight, and Zeth made such a strange face, so... Worried?

"Don't you want to be my girlfriend?" Zeth gasped. "Oh God! Seriously, no... Didn't you notice the sparks between you and me? Am I not perfect? Of course I am, right?" Zeth turned to Finn, who was already ogling him. "Is it my hair? I can dye it! If it's my arrogance, I can correct it... Though I don't promise anything. Or is it that you are terrified of being with someone as famous and graceful as me? Trust me, I can..."

"Zeth, stop," Jade held up a hand.

Zeth looked desperate. It was like discovering a being that never existed.

 Zeth begging for a girl? That was impossible!

Impossible!

Jade sighed.

Maybe she was being unreasonable.

Or maybe this was the only reasonable thing she was doing with her life.

"Zeth, if I said no, it's for the same reason as Finn," Jade said, raising her head. "You want me to be with you, but to be with you, I have to be with your friends too, and I don't love them the way I love you."

Zeth frowned.

"But you do love me, right? Tell me I'm your favourite please or I'm going to faint," He fanned himself, and Jade nodded. "Well, that's one less problem."

It was true, she loved him, but she could not deny that the feelings for his friends were non-existent beyond friendship.

There was definitely nothing romantic going on between her and them, but the fact that they all wanted to be with her did wonders to her stomach. Her chest felt tight every time she spent time with them.

"Zeth, you and the boys are amazing, but I can't say it's love yet." Jade smiled gently. "For now, I can't risk my heart."

"Okay," Zeth sighed, relieved.

"Oh, really?" Jade looked surprised. In fact, she was.

"Are you serious?" Finn asked, more surprised than Jade. "Are you going to let her go?"

"I can't make her do anything she does not want to," Zeth grunted.

"But I am gonna be around for a long time," Jade reminded him. "Even if I'm not your girlfriend, there will still be plenty of opportunities to hang out with you guys again."

"How about we all compete for your love?" Everett asked, stepping out of the locker room. “With knives, axes, and swords, just like back home. A death match!"

"Oh my God! No!" Finn yelled. "You can't be proposing death matches for every conflict, Everett!"

"But that's how it was done back home," Everett bumped his hand into his fist. "We fought for what we wanted."

"Nobody's going to fight anybody, because I think we all agree that I would win," Zeth smiled, and Everett grumbled. "We will only use our personalities and all the romance possible, as it should be."

"Traditions of this town are very strange," Everett rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "You complicate everything, especially mating ritual."

"For now, I just want to go home," Jade said. "Sorry, guys, but today has been fun. However, I think I need some sleep, especially considering I didn't sleep at all last night."

"Yeah, fine," Zeth agreed. "But we'll catch up tomorrow."

"Until then... Good luck with the show tomorrow, and whatever you do, don't let Anton win!"

"I'll take you home," Zeth said, pulling out his phone. "I'll tell my driver we'll take you..."

"I'd like to walk," Jade said. "My dad lives nearby, about ten minutes away. I need some time alone."