CHAPTER 17

Sprinting out of the Darktide Hotel and down the steps so fast she nearly fell over, Jade heard someone yell behind her.

"Hey, wait!"

With the cat in her arms and her phone in one hand, she turned around to see who was approaching her.

“Leave me alone, Finn!”

"Wait! Don't go!" This guy followed her relentlessly down the sidewalk until she stopped under a streetlight.

"I don't want to be in a music video!" Jade yelled.

Finn stopped dead in his tracks.

"What?" he cocked his head. "Are you serious?"

Jade looked at him straight in the eye, shocked that he didn't believe her. He continued to stare at her with an open mouth.

"Yes! I just want to be a normal person who has no idea how to get paid or what to do! I didn't sign up for that when I met you!"

Finn rubbed his nape and looked away.

"Hey, I get Zeth can be a little… demanding but… He's worked a lot to make us a successful band and he's a perfectionist, but he likes you, that's for sure." Finn ran a hand through his hair and sighed, "He just wanted to keep us safe. But you were amazing in the interview. Maybe you..."

"I just did it for my friend, the interview," Jade snapped back, and he seemed annoyed, even lowering his eyebrows, "Sorry. I forgot you don't like being interrupted."

She started to turn back around.

"Wait. Let's talk about this." He pulled her by the arm, and she had to fight to yank away. The cat jumped off her arms and onto the ground, and Jade took a step back to catch it and carry it again.

"What is there to say? I interviewed you, I got my five minutes... Leave me alone!"

She turned to leave again, and he reached out for her shoulder. This time, instead of fighting to get away, she let him hold her.

"That's why I came down here to get you before you left," Finn took Jade's phone from her hand and put it behind his back, "I'm not letting you go until you listen to me!"

"Give me the phone!"

"I said no!" He replied, a little playful but with a certain air of seriousness in his tone, "Let's make this easy, okay?"

She scowled at him but remained where she was. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair again.

"Look, we're going to be professional about this..." He paused and looked around as if worried they were being overheard. She rolled her eyes. "We gave you an interview, private, and you just want to give it away to someone else. Do you know how much we charge per interview?"

"Okay then..." Jade muttered. "How much do I owe you for the interview?"

He smiled a little.

"Don't give away the interview, upload it to your whatever account, but don't give it away."

"You're unbelievable," she rolled her eyes again, huffing.

"No, really..."

"I want to go back to Melody's place," Jade sighed. "Let me go."

"And Melody is your only friend, isn't she?" Finn crossed his arms and looked at her.

"Yes. I don't have any other friends."

"You've got six new friends now, well, maybe five." He said, charming as always.

"My friend is waiting for me, and her cat."