CHAPTER 69

On the left side of the stage, the Sixth Octave boys looked nervous, and their postures were stiff.

On the right side, Monster Mash all held each other's hands, a bit expectantly, but they all knew that whatever the judges had to say, they would face it together.

“Honey," Tom O'Pry said to his wife, who was smiling like never before, "Would you like to start?"

"Ok course. I’ll start with Sixth Octave...” she cleared her throat, “Paul, you have a great falsetto and a clear voice that can also be very dramatic when you sing high notes," Cadence said with a smile, but that smile faded quickly. "But your voice falls flat when you sing low or when you sing softly."

"He tends to sing in the same range, and he sounds the same all the time," added Tom. "With a little practice, I see you being the best voice in your band."

“You guys don't know anything," Paul said, throwing away his microphone, "I told you that I did not want to be a singer!"

There was an awkward silence, and someone in the audience coughed.

"Well. What about the twins?" Anton asked, and it was as if he wanted to distract the audience and his parents from Paul, who was already getting off the stage leaving behind the sound equipment that hung from his waist.

"Clyde has a plain voice, he makes no effort at all," said Cadence. "Sometimes, it almost sounds like he’s imitating someone else, meaning Alycandro."

"I don’t have much to say about Jeyk," Tom spoke, "But only because I haven’t heard enough of him to understand the full scope of his voice. Your voice is clear, Jeyk," Tom continued. "At least you have that going for you."

“I don't care what you say," Clyde said and his twin lowered his head and avoided everyone's gaze.

"Mort," Cadence began, "Your voice is phenomenal, your vibrato is too, but it does sound out of control sometimes."

"Mort," Tom said, "Your voice sounds melancholic, sweet, soft, and frankly, you sound quite basic. But you have potential."

"What are you talking about?" Cadence said to her husband, "He sounds like he's whining half of the time! He messed up the harmonies for Super Mash when he competed here! You told me that's why you eliminated Super Mash!” Cadence slapped her husband's arm, then turned to see Mort. "Singers that don’t have a big range must find alternatives to showcase their voices, and you three," Cadence pointed at the twins with one hand and Mort with the other, "Definitely need to find one."

“And now comes the hard part," Tom said, looking at his son with a little fear, but his wife didn't seem fazed.

"Anton, you were always either lowering the song by several keys or completely avoiding high notes, seemingly to prevent your voice from cracking," said Cadence. "And when you did sing high notes, you were pushing, and it was pretty hard on the ears. There is a difference between singing and yelling."

"Honey," Tom said, taking her arm, "You can't say that."

"It's just that something about Anton's voice has always troubled me, and it's the fact that it's always inconsistent," she continued. "He has a nice voice and tone, but he didn't sing the song the way it's supposed to be sung. He lost control, and it sounded forced and unbalanced. It seemed like sabotage to be honest."

"Mother! You can't say that on live TV!" Anton yelled, and the entire venue erupted in whispers. "You must support me! It is your duty!"

"My duty is to ground you in reality and be a vocal critic," she replied.

"Well then, criticize them! Vulgar apes who strip for fame!" Anton pointed at Monster Mash like a spoiled child. "Start with the mountain with legs!"

Everett growled, but all the Monster Mash boys looked up at him and almost telepathically told him to behave.

The giant dropped his shoulders and relaxed his fists.