CHAPTER 22

Up here, on a stone bridge that connected the interior of the castle with the school's bell tower, Draco's feet dangled off the edge. He wasn't afraid to look down at the ground far below him and didn't fear going any further and risking falling to his death. He wouldn't die anyway; maybe he would break a bone or his skull, but that would easily heal in a matter of seconds.

Sometimes death made him think it would be easier to be a mortal.

But being a vampire had already cost Draco a lot.

He and Zeth had grown up together in The Titan, and life was good, luxurious without responsibilities, until everything changed.

Their paths parted at some point when Draco's father became the new Duke of Bloodstone, and he moved with his entire family to Bloodfort, while Zeth decided to join the Guardians of Evalon at Guardian Fort.

It was stupid how Draco remembered his life in Evalon more than his life as Queen Zafira Rahman's envoy to the Human lands, but maybe because, although Evalon was a horrible and cruel place, his most traumatic memories happened here, where humans once worshiped him like a God and then began hunting him like a Zeldrich.

And sometimes those memories came back when he was in a crowded place.

Angry mobs what was he remembered when it happened, like flashbacks and echoes.

Sometimes he needed to get away from all the hubbub.

Zeth didn't seem to mind all these years, although Draco knew he was as fucked up as he was, but Zeth had always been stronger than him, by far, so much so that he willingly forged himself in battle and among warriors, and even became Commander of the Guardians of Evalon while Draco only spent his time drinking wine and visiting brothels when he wasn't stressed by his family's nonsense, or fleeing after... Making a huge mistake.

Draco once lived a life of luxury and waste.

Thousands of years ago, long before he left Evalon to come to the Human lands with Zeth and other warriors to wipe out what remained of the Zeldrich threat, he used to spend days and nights in the 'Priest and Nun' brothel in Rahman Trinity Town, or sometimes flew over The Titan with Zeth's sister riding him as if he were a dragon, and even committed the most terrible act a son can commit out of spite.

He had married once or twice, and one of his wives was Marchioness Luna Alfaro of Moonfall, but it was a forced wedding, and she was so disgusted with him that they never touched each other, nor even kissed.

Many years later he also had three human girlfriends who he loved dearly, and watched them, his infant sons and daughters, all perish at the hands of an angry mob.

The humans for which he had fought so hard had betrayed him, and yet, he never lost faith in them.

But Draco never mentioned those things, even though it was clear that most of the time humans wanted to kill him.

Draco went from being hated by humanity to being worshipped by millions again.

"I knew you'd be here," Zeth said, walking with his hands behind his back, his head up as if looking down at the boy.

"I know Evie told you I was here," Draco sighed.

“Where is she?” Zeth looked around.

"She was here a second ago, but she saw something in the distance and left, she was very stressed actually." Draco shifted his shoulders and clucked his mouth, swinging his feet, "But you didn't need her to know I'd be here."

"Kade Fort is huge, but you used to hide up here all the time."

"No one has called it Kade Fort for thousands of years, only you," the vampire replied, "Wow. We're old now, huh?"