CHAPTER 79

There were mysteries in the world that would never be solved, like whether or not Duke Damon Hellfire's mother was really Queen Basterina ‘the Fallen’ Rahman or not, or the timeline of Five Nights at Freddy's, or if the ship that crashed in New Mexico was actually in Area 51, or what the Hell happened in the final episode of Lost, but if there was one thing Draco needed to know, it was if Alex felt the same way as he did.

"I knew you'd be out here when I didn't suddenly see you by my side," Alex said, crossing the empty street. Kevin lived in a small, old three-apartment building, and Draco was sitting on a bench in the park across the street, right next to a lamppost, thinking about the fragility of life.

The moon was still up, bright but not enough to cast shadows for long. He hadn't noticed anyone else coming or going before he spotted Alex walking up.

"How is Kevin's mum?" Draco asked as Alex sat next to him on this stone bench.

"She's better now. Zeth's amulet has already worked its magic, Finn cried, so did Everett but only on the inside. They are still inside with Zeth and Kevin and Mrs. Visbal. Kevin is taking her for a check-up tomorrow to see if the cancer is gone, but obviously it's over now," Alex said. "He just wants to make sure."

Draco nodded in response but couldn't think of anything else to say. There wasn't much more he could offer at the moment. Now that they were actually sitting, it felt awkward.

"I've thought a lot about the fragility of life," Draco whispered. "About enjoying life without fear, and I've decided to face my own in order to be happy."

"You don't need to face your fears," Alex said immediately. "You're immortal. You have time to figure things out."

"No, I know what I want. And I want to face my fears bravely." Draco looked up to get lost in Alex's golden eyes, and Alex's smile transformed his whole face into one big, brilliant sun, lighting up a world that had been in darkness for far too long for Draco. The vampire wanted to hold onto this memory forever. "Alex, I've been in love with a man for a long time."

"You're my best friend, so..." Alex rubbed the back of his neck. "Can I trust you with a secret?"

Draco nodded, his heart pounding. It took all his strength not to lean forward and kiss Alex right there. Instead, he settled for looking at him intently, hoping he would understand everything he needed to say. His heart pounded so loudly in his chest that he could hear it in his ears.

"I think I like a man too," Alex whispered with a nervous laugh. "He's a guy I've known for a long time. He has pale skin and a body that turns me on. I've even seen him naked a couple of times. He's handsome, noble, simple. At some point, I hated him with all my being..." Alex trailed off for a moment and stared at the ground. "I don't hate him anymore. I really like him, but I can't tell him how I feel."

They sat in silence for a while after that. Draco's heart raced, adrenaline rushed through him. He didn't know whether to hug Alex or ask him why he wouldn't tell his crush. But Alex seemed conflicted, and the silence grew heavier as it stretched longer.

Draco didn't even realise he was shaking until Alex put an arm around his shoulders.

Alex leaned against him and sighed. Draco felt the weight of Alex's body against his shoulder as they both relaxed from their tense positions. After a few moments, Alex pulled away from him. Draco felt disappointed, but he knew Alex needed space.

"Are you going to tell me who the boy you like is?" Draco played dumb, even though the description matched his own perfectly.

"Well, he's in the band," Alex said.

"Oh," Draco’s heart was beating fast again.

Now it was more obvious.

Alex liked Draco, and maybe Draco could be good enough for Alex. He wanted to love him, make him happy, and let him feel comfortable with himself. If Draco told him what he really wanted, then they could go from being friends to dating.

A relationship with Alex would make Draco happier than he had ever been before. It would give him a reason to live freely, and he couldn't wait to start.

He had waited so many years for someone to finally notice him.

He had always thought that he was destined to be alone, that he could never find someone who liked him for him and not for being in a boyband.

Draco was completely sure now: Alex felt the same way as he did.