CHAPTER 82

"I want to show you this one first," Frank said, grabbing a small machine. "This one is my latest invention!" And then he pressed some buttons, but the machine broke into pieces. They both shared a laugh. "It's still a prototype anyway."

Jade was not sure how to call it, not even sure if it was love or not, but one thing she did know: She felt safe and warm with him, understood by someone even.

Still, she had a question to ask.

“Hey, that girl... Evangeline. What about her?” Jade asked and Frank made a disgusted face.

“I don’t know much about her, I just know that  she was deemed by the Hunter Academy to possess genetic potential, and was taken from her birth family. I know she endured both an education and indoctrination into the world of spy-craft, became the star pupil in in this strict training environment, was taught to compartmentalize her feelings, underwent psychological conditioning and physical training... That kind of stuff.”

“She seems like an unreliable bodyguard, I mean, she wears heel boots while on duty,” Jade said and Frank shook his head.

“She can’t walk, nor run, without heels. Ever since she was a child, she was forced to wear them and her feet, like those of every Hunter, became deformed over the years. Even males wear boots with platforms, not like Draco's, more like Black Widow boots."

“Why?”

“Hunters always keep things in their heels, USB drives, knives, cyanide.”

"It must be hard to fight in that kind of footwear," Jade laughed.

"Evie once told me that, when something is normal for you, you don't understand or notice the difference. Plus, she's too agile, you should see her cartwheeling and flipping in the air! She always lands on her feet like an Olympic gymnast!"

“And you... Like her?”

"It's not the word I would use." Frank made a disgusted face again, “Shit!" He hissed. His bionic hand sizzled again, and a faint whitish smoke came out of it.

"I think we should check that out," Jade said. "I'm not as good as Dad apparently, but I do know a little about robotics."

"They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree," Frank said as they both sat down at a table, there was a toolbox at the centre of it. "I trust you can help me."

"Well, that looks pretty advanced. I'll do my best, but I can't promise anything," she whispered as she inspected his bionic hand. "I really like the chrome finishes, and you probably polish this hand every day because it shines like a mirror."

"I am more a machine than a man," he said. "I think I'm a perfect fit in Monster Mash because I'm a..."

"Don't call yourself a monster," she said with an angry tone, and her eyes met his.

"But I am. I am a descendant of House Rubinstein, and the only one in my family who has electrical abilities like my ancestors."

"Then that makes you a monster," she told him, cupping his cheeks in her hands, "But that's all, you understand?"

His light blue eye sparkled, but not as much as the bionic one, which even buzzed while it lit up in a brighter shade of green.

Despite his tough boy looks, he was as cute as a puppy.

His smile.

His eyes.

Everything screamed though boy, but his soft giggling said otherwise.

There was a blush on his cheeks.

"Let me get a screwdriver," she said, searching for it inside the toolbox.

"You... You like me, right?" Frank asked.

The question took her by surprise and caused her to jump a little.

The screwdriver slipped from her hand onto the floor.