CHAPTER 78

The drive back to Hollow Woods took two hours, but finally, within the city limits, Jade sighed and looked out the window of Evangeline’s Camaro at the many trees along the road. Frank's electric car was just a few feet ahead of them.

"You know? I have never seen Zeth so desperate for a girl's attention," Evangeline began, not taking her eyes off the road. "It's an inside joke but we always say he’s heartless."

"He's one of the most heartfelt people I've ever met," Jade replied, "I don't understand why you say that."

"Because Zeth is heartless, literally. He has an artificial heart in his chest. It's made of gold and it pumps blood throughout his body with magic."

"That explains the boner," Jade whispered.

"What did you just say?" Evangeline asked, and Jade shook her head to snap out of her erotic trance. The car seemed to slow down a bit, almost coming to a stop.

"Nothing!" Jade exclaimed. "Sorry about that. You were just saying how Zeth was heartless and all..."

"I was going to say that Zeth's heart of gold is both literal and metaphorical, and I'm amazed at how much it beats for you," Evangeline replied and continued driving in silence. They passed an abandoned building covered in vines and ivy, as well as an abandoned parking lot. "And we always say that Draco has a heart so big it doesn't fit in his chest, that’s why his pecs are so round and big..”

"He's adorable," Jade smiled.

"Of course he is, the poison that runs through his veins must be made of sugar," Evie laughed.

“But he's a vampire," Jade said, raising an eyebrow. "Aren't vampires supposed to have no blood flow?"

"And aren't you surprised that he doesn't burn in the sun? Please! Monsters are more X-Men than monsters," she replied. "The books that were inspired by them are nothing more than humans fearing the unknown, and a lot of pop culture nonsense in recent times."

"So Draco can have a..."

"A what?" Evangeline chuckled. "An erection? Yes, he can. And you know Zeth can too.” She wiggled her eyebrows and Jade turned red. So she did hear what she said a moment ago. “Everyone can, but I heard you with Alex and I will tell you that you ought to be careful with him. You don't want him and Draco to become rival species again, do you?”

"And why are you telling me this?" Jade frowned.

"Because it's obvious you're interfering," Evangeline looked at her out of the corner of her eye. "Anyone with half a brain can see that Draco and Alex love each other, and I heard that Zeth wants you to be everyone's girlfriend... That's a mistake." She glanced at her quickly, then back to the road again. “If you care about someone, you need to let them go."

"Let them go?" Jade asked. "How am I supposed to do that when they've been there around every corner and..." Her voice trailed off. "Oh Jesus Christ Redeemer! You love one of them!" Evangeline grunted, and Jade knew she was considering whether or not to tell her, so Jade spoke first. "No offense but you sound like the typical girl who is jealous of the protagonist in a love story."

"Love story? Is that what you think this is? Yes, you like them, of course, like their millions of fans," Evangeline rolled her eyes. "All you Mashers see are pretty faces, awesome voices, and abs of steel. But when you see real steel, you are all indifferent, right?"

"Real steel?" Jade gasped. "Wait! You like Frank! You're jealous of me!"

Evangeline stopped the car suddenly, making Jade lose her balance and fall against the console.