CHAPTER 31

Jade, Zeth, and Everett had walked into one store after another at the local mall, the only mall in town in fact, without finding anything that would fit her style.

Over and over again, Zeth chose dresses, heels, jackets, pants, and various outfits without her feeling comfortable in them. It was more uncomfortable because a cameraman followed them everywhere among the expensive brand clothes.

Jade knew she'd never feel comfortable wearing clothes designed purely for seduction, so she left Zeth to do it while she and Everett went around looking at different kinds of jewellery in a different store. At least the shopkeepers were kind enough not to ask her if she needed help or even if they could help her in any way, although there was a little old man who looked very smiling and appeared in each shot of the cameraman.

Finally, at the end of the last aisle, Jade found exactly what she was looking for. Her eyes widened at the sight of a small heart-shaped diamond bracelet sitting on top of a velvet pillow, its beauty so exquisite that Jade didn't think she could find it anywhere else in town.

"Five thousand dollars?!" Jade exclaimed, covering her mouth, but Everett was already pulling out his white furry wallet. "No! Don't buy it!"

"But you liked it," Everett frowned at her. "And it's lovely piece. Buying gifts is part of mating ritual, I was told, and I don't think you like axes or ice swords."

"Yeah, but..." Jade shook her head. "I don't deserve this!"

"I don't care, Money is paper that is earned with lot of blood, but it is still paper... And coins," Everett said. "This bracelet is worth it. And it suits you. You're worth it because you're pretty, like baby mountain goat."

"Well," Jade took a deep breath, trying to gather herself. "I'll take it then."

"Good. Then let me pay for it," Everett gave her a crooked smile.

She liked Everett; he was simple and direct, something rare these days. He didn't talk much, and if he did, it was only what was necessary, and that gave a certain air of mystery that made her curious as hell.

She liked his unassuming nature; it suited him. His ice-cold eyes looked at her with such tenderness and caring that Jade felt she needed to see them more often.

She had never paid much attention to him, but now she was beginning to realise how beautiful Everett's physical and emotional coldness was.

She'd never seen anyone as beautiful as him. It was like a giant teddy bear, colourful without being too flashy, always with a comforting aura.

It was just his nature to be quiet, reserved, and a little withdrawn, but somehow his presence still managed to calm Jade's nervous mind. His deep voice always brought her comfort.

Her feelings towards him weren't exactly platonic either, but Jade was starting to sense some sort of attraction between them, and she wasn't sure what to call it.

"Everett, can we talk?" Jade asked him, with a small paper bag hanging from her forearm and the bracelet inside. "That is, if you want to."

"Talk," Everett nodded but did not stop walking. She was already huffing and running out of air. She walked very quickly while the giant walked with wide strides as if it were a walk in the park. One of his slow steps was three quick steps for her. He gathered the attention of everyone in the mall, perhaps because of his height or his fame.

People turned their heads to look at him, curious, maybe even envious of Jade.

"Um... I guess we can walk and talk," Jade said, smiling at him. "Do you think someone is interested in me? Like, maybe Zeth?"

Everett smiled at her.

"Yes, why ask? I thought it was obvious that everyone, especially Zeth, wants to mate with you."

"Why?"

"Because you're pretty."

"Just pretty?" she asked, biting her lip.

"Yeah, just pretty," he replied, and his cheeks turned a little red.

"Oh... Well, thank you for your honesty," Jade looked down, and he seemed to notice with a quick glance down with his stoic face.

"You could be beautiful, but for now you're just pretty," he said, and for a second, he looked nervous. "That's what Zeth and I came here for, to make you beautiful physically."

"You mean I'm beautiful on the inside?" Jade licked her lips, and Everett shook his head. "Oh... Thanks, I guess."

"Physical beauty is temporary; eternal beauty comes from within," he said and pointed to a salon. She followed his lead. "You have potential to be beautiful inside and outside, but you are too dramatic."

"What if I wasn't dramatic?" Jade asked, and Everett stopped to look her square in the eye.

"I would ask you to be my girlfriend," Everett said, simple and without hesitating, direct and without much thought, and her eyes widened. "If you'd just relax, you'd be the most beautiful... But only on the inside."

"And that's bad?"

"It's the inside that counts," Everett seemed to smile for a moment. "But we must make the outside as beautiful as the inside to make you a diamond."

Jade felt heat rushing to her cheeks as her heart fluttered. No matter how hard she tried to remember, she was sure no one ever spoke to her the same way. No one ever cared enough to be honest, and she appreciated that this boy told her what he thought without a filter. She always preferred a harsh truth more than a beautiful lie, and Everett gave her just that.

She felt vulnerable and weak sometimes, afraid that the people who told her that she was perfect the way she was were lying to her, but Everett was not like that. He was sincere, and Jade liked it.

They stood in silence as they stared at each other, and for some reason, it didn't feel awkward.